New Metal shop

/ New Metal shop
Thank y'all for your replies, I had thought about putting in a GFI breaker in but I had not really decided yet. when I wired my other shop 20 years ago I did not install any GFI's until later when I installed a RV box for my Dad to use when he came to visit and it has a 50A, 30A and a 120 volt GFI so that makes all my 120 outlets that are outside of shop or house GFI protected and I use the one at the shop most of the time when power is needed outside. I am going to finish the rear wall that goes over the old shop and install the front door from my old shop before I start the wiring process. physically anyway mentally I have been wiring this building since the day I decided I wanted it. I got up at 5AM and told my wife I was going to see how the lights look in the shop I worked on them all night while trying to sleep.
PS: no the GFI's at the shop and house are not connected was just saying all outside 120 plugs are GFI.

/ New Metal shop #32  
Another consideration of using a ground wire instead of using the EMT for grounding is the amount of movement in a metal building. They creak and move as they heat up and cool down, plus wind can bend the structure back and forth.

I hired an engineer to be involved when I built a metal building shop. One of the first things he did is advise me to pay for extra stiffening of the building. I believed it was the "deflection" factor or something like that. The metal bldg manufacturer knew exactly what I was asking, and yes, they did have the option to ship me a stiffer built building ($$).

I was surprised that the standard metal building spec allowed for a certain amount of movement in wind. It was something like 1" either way at a corner. The stiffening I purchased cut that in half.

Anyway, my point is ... if concern about using EMT for grounding is that a rusty box or loose fitting could compromise the ground ... I believe building movement could contribute to that.

PS Congratulations on the new building!!!

/ New Metal shop
Good point, I plan on running a ground wire from the panel and grounded the building also.

/ New Metal shop #34  
Question are you planning to join your new building with your existing quonset hut?

/ New Metal shop
Yes the new building over laps the Quonset hut about 6 inches so when I finish the new building it will be all closed in, metal to metal and electrical

/ New Metal shop #36  
Nice I'll be curious to see the flashing you use about 5 yrs ago I used left over adhesive window flashing as a "temporary" dry in fix around walls and roof, unfortunately it's became semi permanent.

Attachments

• KIMG1360.JPG
    KIMG1360.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • KIMG1359.JPG
    KIMG1359.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
   / New Metal shop
That is what I was trying to avoid when I decided to over lap the buildings, the new metal should land just behind the first ridge on the old building

/ New Metal shop #38  
That is what I was trying to avoid when I decided to over lap the buildings, the new metal should land just behind the first ridge on the old building
Unfortunately in my case in order to save a few bucks my steel sheets on addition run horizontal, the gable/ wall of existing barn run traditional/ vertical. I at least planned and researched, enough the peak of roof has a three pitch und tucked/ fit underneath the awning of the old sliding door.

/ New Metal shop
Your temporary solution is like mine, I tend to leave it as long as it works

/ New Metal shop #40  
Thank y'all for your replies, I had thought about putting in a GFI breaker in but I had not really decided yet. when I wired my other shop 20 years ago I did not install any GFI's until later when I installed a RV box for my Dad to use when he came to visit and it has a 50A, 30A and a 120 volt GFI so that makes all my 120 outlets that are outside of shop or house GFI protected and I use the one at the shop most of the time when power is needed outside. I am going to finish the rear wall that goes over the old shop and install the front door from my old shop before I start the wiring process. physically anyway mentally I have been wiring this building since the day I decided I wanted it. I got up at 5AM and told my wife I was going to see how the lights look in the shop I worked on them all night while trying to sleep.
PS: no the GFI's at the shop and house are not connected was just saying all outside 120 plugs are GFI.
GFIs are a good idea in most cases, depending on the location of your panel sometimes it is better to install gfi outlets, you just need the first one in the run to be GFI and use the down stream protection feature to protect the rest. GFi receptacles are cheaper and more convenient to reset instead of going back to the panel when they trip (depending on your shop layout).