Feed hay prices

/ Feed hay prices #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
With everyone raising prices on all my inputs, I just emailed my feed hay customers this morning that I’m raising prices to $100 for a 1000 pound round bale picked up at my barn.
Has anyone that buys/sells seen increased prices?

The endophyte free fescue bales are a little less than my orchard grass bales. Might be an option for some. Delivery prices are now increasing dramatically per mile and for loading time for longer distance delivery. Buddy of mine that sells hay charges a loading fee, a minimum delivery charge fee and $3/loaded mile. I’m thinking of doing same.
I called my 3 customers I deliver to locally, by tractor (in my neighborhood) and they seemed very understanding, almost like they expected it….

Hate to do it, but I’ve no choice. Welcome to the “new norm”. Everything costs 25-100% more.

Last edited:
   / Feed hay prices #2  
Wonder what the price point will be to see critter sell off ? The crazy prices may be ok for the top of the one percenters
but it's going to be pretty tough on those that were just getting by to begin with.

/ Feed hay prices #3  
The new normal as it were...

Orchard seems to be the most popular around here but I don't know much about hay except proper storage...

Can anyone say $30 a bale???

We have a few put out to pasture horse boarders at the tree farm and they are 100% on the wild grasses on a rolling 40 acre plot... with park district barbed wire in the rear...

They are the healthiest easy to keep horses with only water provided year after year.

/ Feed hay prices
The new normal as it were...

Orchard seems to be the most popular around here but I don't know much about hay except proper storage...

Can anyone say $30 a bale???

We have a few put out to pasture horse boarders at the tree farm and they are 100% on the wild grasses on a rolling 40 acre plot... with park district barbed wire in the rear...

They are the healthiest easy to keep horses with only water provided year after year.

It’s true!
a few of my more intelligent customers actually prefer hay that’s a mix of naturally occurring grasses. Most of the time, they forage off the ground, which is healthier for their digestive tracts.
The ones on the high octane hay fed from a 6’ high feeder look fat & lazy and founder.

/ Feed hay prices #5  
With everyone raising prices on all my inputs, I just emailed my feed hay customers this morning that I’m raising prices to $100 for a 1000 pound round bale picked up at my barn.
Has anyone that buys/sells seen increased prices?

The endophyte free fescue bales are a little less than my orchard grass bales. Might be an option for some. Delivery prices are now increasing dramatically per mile and for loading time for longer distance delivery. Buddy of mine that sells hay charges a loading fee, a minimum delivery charge fee and $3/loaded mile. I’m thinking of doing same.
I called my 3 customers I deliver to locally, by tractor (in my neighborhood) and they seemed very understanding, almost like they expected it….

Hate to do it, but I’ve no choice. Welcome to the “new norm”. Everything costs 25-100% more.
Just curious, what was it before?

/ Feed hay prices #6  
I have sold 4' by 5' round rolls of barn stored coastal for $45.00 per roll picked up at the barn , but granular fertilizer has doubled and as of right now is between $ 650 up to $875 per ton depending on analysis, liquid fertilizer has also doubled in price, I haven't checked yet to see what off road diesel is going to cost me to fill up my storage tanks, so the price of hay has got to go up if there is any profit to be made, which is already very little.

/ Feed hay prices #8  
Is it really a cost to you if you just pass it on?

/ Feed hay prices
Is it really a cost to you if you just pass it on?
Not if all my customers accept the “passed on” costs, but might lose customers if the next guy selling hay down the road raises his prices less than mine.

Its always a risk when you raise prices, even if just to cover costs

Last edited:
   / Feed hay prices
Wonder what the price point will be to see critter sell off ? The crazy prices may be ok for the top of the one percenters
but it's going to be pretty tough on those that were just getting by to begin with.
Agree. I cant imagine going forward how anyone can continue to afford to own horses after this? I think they calculate the average household will spend $2,000 more per year on fossil fuels. Groceries will probably go up 50-100%, too.

Maybe its part of the “great reset” to get methane fart gas from livestock reduced? Lol