Feed hay prices

/ Feed hay prices #21  
I can still find a decent amount of 2021 hay here in Northern Indiana. So I am buying some to hedge against the increase we are going to see for 2022 hay. Thankfully we have an indoor arena so we have some room to store it.

/ Feed hay prices #22  
We are not raising our prices this year. We raised them last year for the first time since we started this business in 2015. We are already planning on raising them next year. IF we have any surplus to sell during the winter those prices are going up. For instance a 4x5 round bale of 2nd cutting will sell for $110. I plan on making 2 and would bet they don't sell. $110 for one bale will turn people off and even if I tell them that is a 10% savings over square bales they will buy the squares.

/ Feed hay prices #23  
Paid $35 per 900 lb roll delivered this year. Already been told it'll be $40 going forward. We usually get 200 rolls, so that will be a bite.

/ Feed hay prices #24  
Wonder what the price point will be to see critter sell off ? The crazy prices may be ok for the top of the one percenters
but it's going to be pretty tough on those that were just getting by to begin with.
Many of the hobby horse people are probably going to sell. I saw that happen during the 2008 recession, and no doubt it will happen again soon.

/ Feed hay prices
Many of the hobby horse people are probably going to sell. I saw that happen during the 2008 recession, and no doubt it will happen again soon.
Yep. I just got a call from one customer I supply feed hay to. They are not adding anymore calves and are selling what they have. I still have about 20 tons of feed hay left from ‘21 which will last me through spring.
Hay is going to be tough for a while.

/ Feed hay prices #26  
Anybody who can't understand must be living in a vacuum. I don't use hay but raise a couple of pigs and some poultry every year.
I was thinking about taking a year off but decided not to. The price of feed is one thing but will also affect grocery prices, so that's a wash. What I worry about is not being able to buy grain at all... producers are going to take care of their big customers before they worry about the ton which I buy in a year.

/ Feed hay prices
Paid $35 per 900 lb roll delivered this year. Already been told it'll be $40 going forward. We usually get 200 rolls, so that will be a bite.
Thats a bargain for you. I wonder if your hay producer knows how much money he’s losing selling feed hay for $100/ton?

/ Feed hay prices #29  
Anybody who can't understand must be living in a vacuum. I don't use hay but raise a couple of pigs and some poultry every year.
I was thinking about taking a year off but decided not to. The price of feed is one thing but will also affect grocery prices, so that's a wash. What I worry about is not being able to buy grain at all... producers are going to take care of their big customers before they worry about the ton which I buy in a year.
When you have so many others selling cheaper they don't understand why ours is more.

Our first year we had a winter surplus we had it at $5/bale. Well, those that came and bought them never left and started to buy at the lower rate out of the field. Comments like, my animals clean up your hay, there are no "sticks" left behind, there is so much hay in your bales. Then there are those that call ask the price and we say $5/bale. Oh that is to expensive why is it so much. We challenge them to come and compare but they think they know just talking on the phone. Those are the ones that will by 2 $4 bales throw out the crap it will be a smaller bale and think they got a "deal" when they could have had better results with 1 $5 bale.

/ Feed hay prices #30  
When you have so many others selling cheaper they don't understand why ours is more.

Our first year we had a winter surplus we had it at $5/bale. Well, those that came and bought them never left and started to buy at the lower rate out of the field. Comments like, my animals clean up your hay, there are no "sticks" left behind, there is so much hay in your bales. Then there are those that call ask the price and we say $5/bale. Oh that is to expensive why is it so much. We challenge them to come and compare but they think they know just talking on the phone. Those are the ones that will by 2 $4 bales throw out the crap it will be a smaller bale and think they got a "deal" when they could have had better results with 1 $5 bale.
What little hay I buy is for mulch. One seller I bought from found out what I was using it for and I ended up with some poorly tied bales which couldn't have weighed more than 10 lbs; I was carrying them around with 2 fingers. I bought it because I needed it but ate the cost; there's no way I was passing that on to the client for what it was.
I also never bought from him again. Weeds and a few sticks don't matter so much for erosion control. What does matter is that they have to stay together, and I'm not buying the junk bales which didn't tie right, or are only half the weight for whatever reason.
Rained on is OK as long as they aren't waterlogged and the strings aren't rotten; sometimes I have to carry them a ways, or tie several onto the ATV so they have to stay together. I like the poly rope for my purposes, even though it means I have to pick it all up afterwards.
Mulch hay doesn't cost much less, if at all; except for your herbicide cost, it takes the same amount of money to produce that as for good horse hay.