Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,041  
I'll go have a peek this weekend. I am actually wanting to get a rhino tw25 to cut the nasty heavy brush I have at the new place. But a cheap flail would be fun

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,042  
I found a ford 907 flail 6' wide for 150 bucks. Seller says it needs a bearing and the belt is a little worn. Looks to be complete except for one of the knife assemblies. Its rusty so would need a good cleaning and paint job or minor restoration. Worth picking up? Its been for sale for a long time so I think i could snag it for under a hundred.
Been there done that. $100 917, missing knives, cracked hood, missing PTO shaft, ended blowing rotor bearings. I used it for a side gig for a few years before retiring it. I keep it around hiding in the bushes in case my new $7k flail has issues. I'd buy it again just the same if I had it to do over again. No issues with the new flail vs lots with the beat to hell 917, but can't beat the bang for the buck on the beater.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,043  
I thinking of removing all the hammer flail from my Chicomm flail mower, weighing them and sharpening them. (I'll also weigh all the fasteners as well). Is this a good idea? Anybody know how close typical hammer flails are in weight when new? What would be a good weight range spec for these flails after sharpening?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,044  
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. No need, you will ruin them if you do not use a slow speed wet well grinder using a angle setter gauge for the grinder. the hammer knife weights are all different because they are all different sizes and quality in the casting.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,045  
I thinking of removing all the hammer flail from my Chicomm flail mower, weighing them and sharpening them. (I'll also weigh all the fasteners as well). Is this a good idea? Anybody know how close typical hammer flails are in weight when new? What would be a good weight range spec for these flails after sharpening?
I had never heard of anyone sharpening flail mower blades before I joined this forum, I come from agriculture and we run them until they're worn out and then replace them. If all you cut is grass they might hold an edge for awhile but as soon as you get into any kind of brush you'll loose it.

They're going to wear to a rounded edge like a brush hog blade. They're for blackberries really and they work great for that. If you want a nicer cut you can always drop a gear, even worn hammers cut grass pretty nice if you slow down.

I'd look at swapping to Y blades or even just buy a new set of hammers before I tried sharpening them. IIRC a new set of blades for most chinese flails is only $250-$300...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,046  
I too have about five acres. It has been cleared and planted in Berseem clover with the idea of eventually seeding in Bermuda. After clearing, I bought a used MF tractor and a flail mower. Mine happens to be a Chicomm mower from Titan. I chose a flail mower over a rotary because my land had slicks, brush, rocks and Buick hubcaps remaining after clearing. Yesterday I finished cutting the 5 acres for the first time this season. I had two 3 inch pine trees that had fallen and one new rock that was uncovered by recent rains. The pines were sliced and diced up into mulch with two passes and the rock was pulverized. Now, my Chicomm flail mower does not leave the cut looking like a golf course fairway but close. There is no need to reseed in Bermuda, the clover looks very good and my flail mower cost less than $1500.00 new, free shipping.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,047  
My flail uses the spoon type on a D-ring. It will throw one or two occasionally on stuff that shouldn't be in the grass/weeds--Like rebar or pieces of cinder block. If I hear it and find them, I'll sharpen them and put them back on before the next cut. I can feel a little vibration if I loose more than about two.

I've rolled up about 100' of barb wire and a few fence posts before. That was a lot more nerve racking that throwing a cutter. :oops:

Mine is an old Giant Barracuda I picked up at an auction for $35. I got it cheap because no one knew what it was. :giggle: It will get a make over after I finish the tractor and a couple of other implements.

2008_1031Implements0012.JPG

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,048  
I found a ford 907 flail 6' wide for 150 bucks. Seller says it needs a bearing and the belt is a little worn. Looks to be complete except for one of the knife assemblies. Its rusty so would need a good cleaning and paint job or minor restoration. Worth picking up? Its been for sale for a long time so I think i could snag it for under a hundred.

At that price it's well worth buying as long as you are willing & able to repair it yourself.
Photo would be helpful.

I bought this Ford 917L last year for few hundred bucks and after set on new flails + bolts, rebuilt belt idler pulley, new PTO drive shaft, new gearbox shaft seal, new belts and new roller bearings it is working very good!

Al together perhaps $350 worth of new parts but at least the labor was free.

It is the perfect match with my Ford 1310 tractor and the exact model I wanted so I did not mind doing the repairs.

917L.jpg

IMG_4375.JPG

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,049  
Here is the seller's picture.
00w0w_cmvIGB8nKqPz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,050  
My flail uses the spoon type on a D-ring. It will throw one or two occasionally on stuff that shouldn't be in the grass/weeds--Like rebar or pieces of cinder block. If I hear it and find them, I'll sharpen them and put them back on before the next cut. I can feel a little vibration if I loose more than about two.

I've rolled up about 100' of barb wire and a few fence posts before. That was a lot more nerve racking that throwing a cutter. :oops:

Mine is an old Giant Barracuda I picked up at an auction for $35. I got it cheap because no one knew what it was. :giggle: It will get a make over after I finish the tractor and a couple of other implements.

View attachment 695647
That's one ugly looking mower but, it looks like it is indestructible. Paint it blue!