Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #231  
Effects on the economy are largely going to fall on the auto manufacturers region (upper Midwest). I don’t think this would ripple nationally.
Don't be so sure about that as 2nd and 3rd tier parts suppliers are everywhere and once the house of cards crumbles, those suppliers will be in a layoff situation as well. JIT is nice when it works but with no backup parts to assemble with, it's BAD.

/ Will UAW Strike? #232  
I work for a 2nd tier supplier that supplies ford, currently we are not effected in the slightest, the first ford plant to go on strike Ford MAP pulls two parts from us. Honestly we had hope it would slow things down drastically as we are behind on orders, and the strikes would allow for us to catch up. For it to effect us I had been told the strike would need to last into next year. Not sure if this adds much to the conversation but its something.

/ Will UAW Strike? #235  
As a supplier, not that big of a deal since automakers are small fish in a big pond

/ Will UAW Strike? #237  
I was in a union 26 years. They started collecting dues 1-2 months into my 6 month probationary period. So if the company wasn't happy the union wouldn't do squat yet I was paying dues. I thought that was wrong but didn't want to rock the boat. I had moved 270 miles for this job and better pay. I was hoping the backstabbing and butt kissing would come to an end that I had experienced in my previous non-union jobs. Nope, it was still there. The company provided the benefits. Our union did represent linemen who had union health insurance that I heard was sweet in retirement. But, we were a utility so we were the bastard children. I was even a shop steward for maybe 4 years. What I learned was unions are just as crooked as the companies they rail against. A rough calculation was every dollar I made 1.5% went towards dues that only provided representation. Years later our company wanted a 5 vs 3 year contract.

/ Will UAW Strike? #238  
This is a great illustration of the core problem. He is top-tier guy with a guaranteed pension so he is comfortable. Meanwhile the new hire working next to him on the same job may have started out as a temp making $20 less per hour to do the same job at the exact same pace. That may have went on for 5 years before the temp was hired in as a direct hire, lower paid, second-tier employee that still makes $10 less per hour and has no hope for a pension. Even though he’s shown up faithfully for over 12,000 hours of work, he will never have it as good as the guys that just happened to be born a few years sooner.
So what do you propose? Cave to the union on this and raise manufacturing costs even more? As it is, the "big 3"'s labor costs far exceed any of the non-union automakers.
I'm buying a Toyota next
I hope I'm never that desperate for a vehicle. 2 were enough, there ain't gonna be a third.

/ Will UAW Strike? #239  
So what do you propose? Cave to the union on this and raise manufacturing costs even more? As it is, the "big 3"'s labor costs far exceed any of the non-union automakers.

I hope I'm never that desperate for a vehicle. 2 were enough, there ain't gonna be a third.
I own one Toyota, one Dodge truck, and one Jeep. I have no complaints about any of them.

/ Will UAW Strike? #240  
I was in a union 26 years.

I was even a shop steward for maybe 4 years. What I learned was unions are just as crooked as the companies they rail against.
It is almost unbelievable you had that experience with the Union! LOL :ROFLMAO:
I was a Unoin Rep until I found out the Union leaders were more crooked than the company.