Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #221  
My bro, being a 30 year guy, didn't like most of what the union asked for. Surprised me but one thing I do agree with him on is same pay. Get rid of the tier system. Rest of their demands, they can kiss my ass.

I'm buying a Toyota next

/ Will UAW Strike? #222  
If the union Jobs were as bad as they seem, people would quit working them but the people in these rolls dont have the skills to do much else than push a button or tighten a bolt.

Some other unions such as electricians, it's different since they have an actual skill

/ Will UAW Strike? #223  
My bro, being a 30 year guy, didn't like most of what the union asked for. Surprised me but one thing I do agree with him on is same pay. Get rid of the tier system. Rest of their demands, they can kiss my ass.

I'm buying a Toyota next
You're correct there. The 2 tiered wage system caused a lot of unhappy workers at my job and management did nothing to ease the fighting.

/ Will UAW Strike? #224  
Part of me says I don't disagree. Part of me asks, would the old timers be willing to give up a bit of their pay so the newbies could get more?

I think the bigger problem is their super plush benefits - especially medical insurance for retirees.

/ Will UAW Strike? #225  
If the union Jobs were as bad as they seem, people would quit working them but the people in these rolls dont have the skills to do much else than push a button or tighten a bolt.

Some other unions such as electricians, it's different since they have an actual skill

Not everyone is suited for more complex jobs. One of my four sons has a chromosomal abnormality that limits how much skill he can master but, even though he is the youngest, he is my hardest working son. He’s at my right side for any physical job I’m doing. If jobs like these go away I’m afraid he’ll end up on a government dole that offers free medical care rather work for low wages and no benefits.

When that happens you guys can complain about him being a burden on the government instead of the auto companies. While your doing that look at the upward trend in the amount of people getting checks and benefits from the government. See if there is an inverse relationship with private sector union membership numbers over the last 45 years.

You can’t continue to preach to people that there work doesn’t have value and then expect them to continue doing it. That is insanity.

/ Will UAW Strike? #226  
I wasnt trying to talk down on them but people forget, these people somewhat need the union to represent them since they dont have the negotiation power of skill.

For ever one working, there's 1000 on the street able to and willing to take their job.

/ Will UAW Strike? #227  
I have no issue with top tier management getting fat compensation, heck my BIL is in the solid 6 figure range. He deserves it actually. If it wasn't for people like him running the company, it wouldn't exist. He's got the education as well as the practical experience which is why he's where he's at today.

Far as the tiered wage system. You don't start out at top wage anywhere that I know of.

The other 'chain around the necks' of domestic automakers are the built in legacy costs. Don't forget about that, ever.

/ Will UAW Strike? #228  
I have no issue with top tier management getting fat compensation, heck my BIL is in the solid 6 figure range. He deserves it actually. If it wasn't for people like him running the company, it wouldn't exist. He's got the education as well as the practical experience which is why he's where he's at today.

Far as the tiered wage system. You don't start out at top wage anywhere that I know of.

The other 'chain around the necks' of domestic automakers are the built in legacy costs. Don't forget about that, ever.
Some of thier competitors don't have these legacy costs on thier books. So they are able to "undersell" with thier product and make a higher profit margin than the "Big Three". They will never be able to compete long term unless these expenses go away.

/ Will UAW Strike? #229  
They will never be able to compete long term unless these expenses go away.
They never will. Those 'Legacy Costs' are baked in no matter what. The offshore builders here on domestic soil have no built in legacy costs, mainly because they aren't union and two, they don't bargain in 'good faith' because they don't have to.

A substantial portion of ANY new vehicle cost is the baked in legacy cost.

Pretty quiet this Sunday far as the strike is concerned. The Auto show in Detroit is going on presently but lots of previous exhibitors are absent this year.

/ Will UAW Strike? #230  
Most cannot from what I see, least not very long. Once the bills come in like they do every month, gonna be a heartache tonight... Especially applies to auto workers, least the ones around here. They all have numerous toys, fancy homes and newer vehicles and I bet everything has due notes too.

Like I said previously, Fain is living in a glass house and that glass house is about to be shattered.

I guess he miscalculated what would happen by having selected locals strike. I knew the game plan at Fords a while ago thanks to my BIL.

Like I said, once you break the supply chain, the whole house of cards crumbles.

The issue is, right now, the economy is fragile and this may just rock the 'apple cart' enough to send us into a deep recession.

I wonder what happens when the UAW strike fund is depleted? Anyone care to venture a guess?

Looks like the well worn phrase about the UAW will apply soon... YOU AIN'T WORKING....
Effects on the economy are largely going to fall on the auto manufacturers region (upper Midwest). I don’t think this would ripple nationally.