Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #101  
One problem with unions is it seems the leaders always are generating animosity between workers and management simply because if management and workers worked well together there'd be no need for the union or union leaders.

/ Will UAW Strike? #102  
Amen. It's dicey when you make such wild demands in an industry where they can just move your job elsewhere. Or automate it. Pretty bold.

Some industries have seen massive pay raises... we saw 80% raises last year. Can't be outsourced. Can't be automated. And there aren't enough of us to do the labor as it is.

/ Will UAW Strike? #103  
Amen. It's dicey when you make such wild demands in an industry where they can just move your job elsewhere. Or automate it. Pretty bold.
Yep that's the leverage used by the UMW. Only suddenly there became competition from less expensive natural gas from (non-union) fracking so coal fired power plants converted.

/ Will UAW Strike? #104  

Some industries have seen massive pay raises... we saw 80% raises last year. Can't be outsourced. Can't be automated. And there aren't enough of us to do the labor as it is.
What trade are you in?

/ Will UAW Strike? #105  
Less than a week to go now. Automakers all have at least an 85 day supply of vehicles on hand presently. Probably last longer than 85 days considering the inflated costs. The average Joe has been priced right of the new car market and interestingly, so has the autoworkers themselves.

/ Will UAW Strike? #106  
The day in 1914 when Ford shocked the business world paying $5 a day enabling many to buy the cars they were building…

100 days labor for a new base Model T…

Of course I don’t think taxes were much of an issue in 1914.

Another way to look at it is 800 hours bought the car and $5 a day quashed the union at the time…

My first W2 job paid $8 a day and then 12 and stayed around $16 through High School

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #107  
The issue with most UAW rank and file is, most all of them live well beyond their means and when the union strikes and their 500 a week strike pay kicks in, it will be a 'Heartache Tonight' for them and pretty quick like I might add.

I sometimes wonder how large the UAW 'piggy bank' bank is. I have to surmise not enough to be on strike for a protracted amount of time, plus they loose their health and welfare as well.

Like I said, gonna be an interesting week. I would imagine that some will get other jobs but not very many jobs come with the wages and benefits they now enjoy for doing as little as possible and being rewarded for it.

Also interesting that the main stream media is ignoring it. Guess, putting your head in the sand will make it all better.

I'll comment again on Friday after they strike.

/ Will UAW Strike? #109  
Airline pilot
The usaf was talking single pilots for tankers. Iirc airlines were as well

I'm sure eventually they'll have their way and that'll be 50% reduction in pilots.

I mean, if a single pilot can fly an f-22, then why does a 737 need 2......