Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #201  
EVs also require far less maintenance reducing more jobs in the auto service and repair industry.

/ Will UAW Strike? #202  
As far as robots taking over all the jobs, I don’t think that will happen. For various projects I worked on as a land surveyor, I worked in some factories. I’m always surprised how much hands on work is required. I’m sure robots could take over a few more jobs but they may have already reached a practical limit.

/ Will UAW Strike? #203  
The 32hour week isnt too far fetched. I know people working 4 days a week for full pay and it's normal. Both in manufacturing and tech

/ Will UAW Strike? #204  
Yesterday, Fords laid off 600 factory workers, what plant or which plants, I have no idea but that all distills down to the JIT philosophy, that is, once the supply chain is broken, it becomes a cascading effect as the product producing lines don't have the necessary components to complete any sub assemblies of finished cars or trucks.

I was told ahead of time by my BIL that would be what transpired.

Like I said previously, Fain and the UAW believes they have the unionized automakers over a barrel, I believe the opposite is true however. Once the reality sets in with the rank and file getting 580 bucks strike pay and not being able to pay their bills or buy food or fuel for their buggies, the attitude will change rapidly. At least the laid off workers can get unemployment compensation which will probably last longer than the strike pay fund the UAW has.

The UAW selectively struck all 3 automakers but only certain departments. Like I said, once the JIT chain is broken, all heck will break loose.

The automakers have very carefully adopted the JIT philosophy to insure maximum parts availability but once that is compromised, you'll see what transpires.

My wife was on Facebook yesterday and there were a couple striking autoworkers on there looking for free firewood so they could heat their homes as cold weather is coming and out here, there is no NG. it's all oil or propane heat and propane is going up like a helium Balloon presently. I have a large pile of saw logs in the side yard but they are already spoken for, not that I'd give them away anyway. I get compensated for them from my wood cutter friend who cuts and splits them and sells firewood to all the local campgrounds to supplement his retirement income.

Gonna be a long, cold winter up here in SE Michigan if they don't come to an amicable settlement pretty quick. Getting colder here as the days progress.

/ Will UAW Strike? #205  
It appears to me at least that Stellantis and GM are allowing Fords to take the lead game in this strike. Will see how that plays out.

/ Will UAW Strike? #207  
EVs also require far less maintenance reducing more jobs in the auto service and repair industry.
The EV's do have a track record of requiring a lot more time for firefighters being on scene vs an ICE, so the flip side may be more jobs in fire departments?

/ Will UAW Strike? #208  
Agree!
I think we will reach the point where robotics & AI will be used to the point where very little UAW labor will be needed anymore.
One advantage of EV’s is they have fewer moving parts. They present an opportunity to eliminate a lot more human hands assembling vehicles.

Now if they can just build a Ram 5500 4WD EV that’ll tow 35-40K like my present Cummins powered Ram….
This has been going on on the farm for then last century.

Watching hay making is one of my first memories in life.

Out behind the barn someone was driving a small tractor in a straight line backward and forward over and over. Wagons were coming to the barn loaded with loose hay that parked in front of the barn and a spear would come over and pick up a bit and take it up.

Being 3 or 4 years old and not seeing the field or loft operation there were many people involved. Now with repeating robotics many farm workers have been replaced.forever.

The $25K next generation Tesla will require relatively few man-hours of labor by design.

Labor cost of a car built in the USA today can only be computed 40 years from now due due to unknown future healthcare and retirement growing and unknown costs. Best estimates indicate they will bankrupt the big 3 and the USA federal government.

/ Will UAW Strike? #209  
Union has about 6 weeks worth of money to cover the weekly wages and insurance costs.

Here in Grand rapids, blue cross blue shield workers just went on strike. They are part of the UAW. Part of the strike fund is going to them now.

Gonna be a rough time coming for some. Good thing I live within my means. I can get fired tomorrow and will still be able to survive. Alot of the union folks cant

/ Will UAW Strike? #210  
The UAW builds more than just automobiles. They have over 600 local unions in north america with more than 400,000 active and nearly 600,000 retired members. They all pay union dues every month to cover expenses.

The CEO's at the big 3 are scratching out a bloated wage;

Barra at GM, $29 million
Farley at Ford, $21 million
Tavares at Stellantis, $24 million

Don’t forget about former executives still on the payroll, like Sergio Marichone of stellantis, who died in 2018 and his estate is still getting $29,000,000 a year…..

They have no problem giving truckloads of cash to dead and gone executives, it’s just the people that build the cars that everyone seems to object to paying.

Last edited: