What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #171  
Back in the 70s, working for the family construction company, I ran a small asphalt paver for a day, and on several occasions operated a Marion 1 yard dragline digging a pond. I also operated S7 Euclid, International E211 and E270 earthmovers as well as TD9, TD15, TD20 and TD24 dozers.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #173  
Back in 1967, when I was a lineman for the old Bell System, I used one of these vibratory plows.
Screenshot (72).png

I was assigned to install underground TV cable at a golf course, in advance of a major tournament.
The one shown above is a newer version of the one I used, but the machine was amazing.

This technology is commonplace now but back then, it was fairly new. Golf course management was concerned about surface damage but when I was finished, you could hardly tell where the underground cable had been installed.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #174  
For me this has to be the all time oddest. It was a 1958/62 Jari walk behind sickle bar mower. Running this was barely controlled chaos. And after 15 minutes you could not feel your hands any more.... It vibrated that much. And this ran at a speed that was faster than a walk, but just slower than a run. You jogged behind it. I can't remember how many times it got away from me under power, which wasn't a problem in my remote location to other people, but it would turn on a dime, on its own, and come back at you, like an evil being. It really needed a tether kill switch. :)
We had one of those on the farm back in Minnesota when I was in my teens. Ours was a little newer than that, but not by much. As I recall, it had a Lauson engine on it, not the Briggs. Also had a larger shroud over the moving parts.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #175  
I was working at a weld shop located in the Powder basin in Wyoming when a Explosives Blend truck showed up and need repairs. The OX tank had devolved cracks which I welded up. These work at mines and dump explosives into blast holes.
1708520507398.jpeg

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #176  
How are reverse currents avoided when those two generators have a marginal difference in output voltage, or when a generator is varying against the net?
Reverse currents aren't generally an issue as the governor immediately brings the output up to around 4MW upon the closure of the generator breaker when syncing to the grid. The governor also controls the voltage regulation treating both sides as a single unit. I don't recall the outputs varying between the two sides but it's been several years now since I've had to deal with it. There aren't many of those out there, I've run into only two in the last 40 years.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #177  
Diesel powered jumping jack compactor.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #179  
Are you talking about one of these Widow Makers? Got it down in a trench and it’ll turn you into mush.

View attachment 853574
Something like this thing, what that made it odd to me was it ran off jp8. It was very heavy, even with a decompression valve hard starting, and you didn't want it getting away from you in a trench.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-052111.png
    Screenshot_20240222-052111.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 19
   / What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #180  
I'll bet I have one that nobody else does. My first job out of college was in a foundry in the QC dept. testing iron samples, from there they put me in charge of the furnace dept. 22yrs old, one year out of college with 3 old timers working for me, and I'm responsible for two arc melt furnaces that could each melt 15 tons of iron. they had 3 x9" carbon arc rods in 5 ft. sections that screwed together. They ran on 100,000 volt DC current and iron would be heated to 2700-3000*F depending on type of iron needed. Thank God for those old timers and I made sure they knew I appreciated them, because they we're the only way I was successful in that job.
The other cool thing was I occasionally got to run overhead cranes, one was a 15 ton with a 5 ton electro magnet that was used for making up the scrap iron charges that went into the furnaces. Once I got good on that one several times I ran the big 40 ton in the main bay, control cab 35ft in air, even poured iron into molds several times.
Speaking of large overhead cranes, my first job in a machine shop was to assemble the gearing/hoist assembly on a large (30 ton?) overhead crane. The mechanic who took it apart had cleaned it all up, piled it all onto a good-sized pallet and quit working there. Had no book or instructions of any kind, just found what fit where and put it together. It even worked when I was done.