Wet wood roads

/ Wet wood roads #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I am getting tired of my wet wood roads. I cut plenty of wood on each side to allow the sun to dry them but it’s like if they never dry out. It seems there is too much black earth accumulated on top of them.

What should I do with it ?

I thought about using my back blade to drag it out and spread new material after. Or spread material over it ? What do you think ? I have about half a mile of road to deal with.

TKS for your time

/ Wet wood roads #2  
I am getting tired of my wet wood roads. I cut plenty of wood on each side to allow the sun to dry them but it’s like if they never dry out. It seems there is too much black earth accumulated on top of them.

What should I do with it ?

I thought about using my back blade to drag it out and spread new material after. Or spread material over it ? What do you think ? I have about half a mile of road to deal with.

TKS for your time
You can't expect dirt to dry out just because you have opened it to sunlight! How much is your yearly average rainfall and what is the water capacity of your soils? Ever notice how forest roads are graveled? You might want to consider following suit.

/ Wet wood roads #3  
I would lay down some geotextile fabric before you put down new material.

I am currently building roads through some very wet, swampy terrain. The fabric makes a huge difference in keeping the new material from sinking into the muddy mess.

/ Wet wood roads #4  
You can't expect dirt to dry out just because you have opened it to sunlight! How much is your yearly average rainfall and what is the water capacity of your soils? Ever notice how forest roads are graveled? You might want to consider following suit.

Good suggestions above... ☝️☝️
Also what type of soil are you working with?
Do you have them crowned?
Good crowned dirt road sheds water way better .
IMG_20170411_115205712.jpg

/ Wet wood roads #6  
1668340853677.jpeg

Wet wood roads? This is what I was picturing in my mind reading your post. Corduroy roads

/ Wet wood roads
Thanks all,

I forgot to mention this road has a ditch on the side the water is coming from. It is really looking like as if the surface is now composed of too many composted material and it becomes Jello like with very little rain on it.

/ Wet wood roads #8  
I see your from Quebec that's sounding a lot like swamp/bog ground,.
Did the dirt from the ditch get put in the road?

/ Wet wood roads #9  
i’m building a road through a swamp right now. The top layer of the ground is like a soufflé, and if you break through the top layer, you are going to be stuck in a bottomless pit.

This is all new to me, so it’s been some trial and error. But the road fabric has been the answer so far.

2QFYsBG.jpg

42roDbX.jpg

/ Wet wood roads
I see your from Quebec that's sounding a lot like swamp/bog ground,.
Did the dirt from the ditch get put in the road?
I don’t think so, my guess is it’s coming from the air: yearly leaves fall, small twigs, and so on over many years.