Wet wood roads

/ Wet wood roads #11  
View attachment 770222

Wet wood roads? This is what I was picturing in my mind reading your post. Corduroy roads
I built one of these for our only driveway through a swamp on a piece of land I own. You wouldnt believe what proper drainage can do to swampy ground.

I did logs, dug becids and covered the logs in dirt then road fabric and 4-8in of stone. I had 20klb of stone truck driving over it within a month.

/ Wet wood roads #13  
You already have a bunch of good advice. Just remember that when talking drainage, drain as low as you possibly can get. A couple hundred feed of tile, or a few hundred feed of open trenching my cost $ or time, but will be well worth the trouble and investment.

/ Wet wood roads #14  
Thanks all,

I forgot to mention this road has a ditch on the side the water is coming from. It is really looking like as if the surface is now composed of too many composted material and it becomes Jello like with very little rain on it.
I think most folks miss understood the issue ....

If I understand correctly there is organic dirt on the road due to the accumulation of organic matter on the road?? what is underneath? if there is organic soil on the road and good material underneath, I would scrape what I can off, grade the road to eliminate potholes and ruts, then create a nice crown add new material like sand or gravel (preferably gravel).

do you have a picture ? ... other than becoming muddy when its raining is the road foundation solid or soft what type of soil is the road built on? other things to improve, if necessary, would be get rid of the water and lower the water table, that can be done by deepen the ditch's, adding ditch run off and culverts.

Last edited:
   / Wet wood roads #15  
''woodland road doesn't dry up'' would be a more suitable title and explanation of the issue.

/ Wet wood roads #16  
Thanks all,

I forgot to mention this road has a ditch on the side the water is coming from. It is really looking like as if the surface is now composed of too many composted material and it becomes Jello like with very little rain on it.
Just leaves decomposing year over year can have an impact. Truthfully the only way is to put down proper base, and keep it cleared of additional organics year after year. If you have water draining into it, that also needs to be solved.

/ Wet wood roads #17  
i’m building a road through a swamp right now. The top layer of the ground is like a soufflé, and if you break through the top layer, you are going to be stuck in a bottomless pit.

This is all new to me, so it’s been some trial and error. But the road fabric has been the answer so far.

2QFYsBG.jpg

42roDbX.jpg
Mr. Fishin, can I kindly ask what are the details on your road fabric?

Interested in Brand, product description and size of the material rolls, if you have it handy.

Thanks,
Terry

/ Wet wood roads
I think most folks miss understood the issue ....

If I understand correctly there is organic dirt on the road due to the accumulation of organic matter on the road?? what is underneath? if there is organic soil on the road and good material underneath, I would scrape what I can off, grade the road to eliminate potholes and ruts, then create a nice crown add new material like sand or gravel (preferably gravel).

do you have a picture ? ... other than becoming muddy when its raining is the road foundation solid or soft what type of soil is the road built on? other things to improve, if necessary, would be get rid of the water and lower the water table, that can be done by deepen the ditch's, adding ditch run off and culverts.
This is my guess, drainage can be improved for sure but years ago this road wasn’t becoming that slusshy after minimal rain like today. I’m actually wondering what the impact of a back blade would be. Once you beging and create a mess you have to handle it !!

/ Wet wood roads #19  
This is my guess, drainage can be improved for sure but years ago this road wasn’t becoming that slusshy after minimal rain like today. I’m actually wondering what the impact of a back blade would be. Once you beging and create a mess you have to handle it !!
it’s too late to do anything now, next spring once it dry up then you could try to scrape it off … by back blade do you mean a 3 point hitch back blade ? that would work after multiple pass …

/ Wet wood roads #20  
approximately where in quebec are you? how deep are you sinking in with the tractor. If it didn't used to be like that chances are that it is just organic material built up like you think. I would start by scraping a small section and seeing how thick the organic matter is. and if you get to any gravel down below.