Well pump sizing

/ Well pump sizing
Yep. Looks like 2" casing which means you are stuck replacing the with same kind of pump. Those are good pumps though and work well with a Cycle Stop Valve.
View attachment 786597
I have heard of Cycle Stop Valves... Don't know anything about them, guess it is time to do some research.

/ Well pump sizing #22  
I have seen vertical pumps that sit over the well, BUT they have all been agricultural wells, meaning they're about a foot in diameter and pump hundreds of gallons per minute. So, I'm confused as to what you actually have. All the above ground pumps I'm aware of can not lift water more than 25 feet.

The distance in elevation from the water surface in the well to the house will determine the pump specifications. The flow rate and size of pipe will add a little to it.
Deep well ag pumps are high horsepower motors that won't fit the well casing. Think 40 hp. or more. They run a shaft to a turbine at the bottom, so the pump itself is submerged.

/ Well pump sizing #23  
Deep well ag pumps are high horsepower motors that won't fit the well casing. Think 40 hp. or more. They run a shaft to a turbine at the bottom, so the pump itself is submerged.
Many deep well high capacity wells rely on submersible pumps. Higher the horsepower the longer the motor.

pumps come in many different configurations

Last edited:
   / Well pump sizing #24  
That is a one pipe jet pump. Water is pumped down the center pipe goes through a venturi, then comes up the space between the pipe going down and the well casing and into the house. You can replace it with a vertical style of pump, however you would need to find a well cap that would let you use a horizontal style jet pump. I am not sure where to get one, as most of my work was pulling jet pumps, not repairing them. The area I was working, any shallow water was junk water.

/ Well pump sizing #25  
That is actually considered a two pipe deep well jet pump, which uses the casing as the second pipe as you mention. You can use a horizontal deep well jet, but will need a 2" casing adapter.

/ Well pump sizing
   / Well pump sizing #27  
Yes you have a casing adapter for the vertical pump. But if you want to switch to a horizontal style pump you will need a different casing adapter.