Well Pump issues

/ Well Pump issues #1  

Yander

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mine - Yanmar SA425 - Wife's LLC - Massey Ferguson 1750M - JD 3010, Kubota G6200 GT. All Diesel
My son's well pump stopped working, he said it had been starting to make a lot of noise and had been that way for a while. Then it just quit today. We went and put on a new pump and were able to get it primed and pumping and then it would shut off with all the water lines still open and then kick back on and run for a while and then shutoff again.

It did that for several minutes. The water pressure never got very high either. I messed with the pressure adjustment but it didn't seem to change. It was pulling water out of the well so I don't think it is restricted there. I do wonder if it is sucking air from somewhere because that is kind of what it acts like. But I cannot figure out why the pump would ever shutoff if the pressure were not met.

I'm going to replace all of the hose clamps tomorrow and try to prime the line from the well better tomorrow. I know one of the hose clamps would not tighten right so it may be that. Any thoughts from you guys.

The biggest mystery to me is why it would shutoff on it's own when it hasn't gotten any real pressure built up. Also, do those above ground pumps run so hot you cannot touch the motor, because this one was?

Here is the model of the new pump.

1705802505211.png

/ Well Pump issues #2  
If to hot to touch suspect thermal overload was being met and shutting the motor off.

/ Well Pump issues #3  
Yander - assume single pipe into well so a shallow well or two pipe system ?

Either way, a hot pump/heat build up means the ejector inside the pump is blocked. It's pushing enough water pressure to cut off the pressure switch but limited to no volume, which points to a plugged jet in pump or down in the well if a two pipe system.

If two pipe systems you could try to remove the blockage with compressed air down the smaller pipe, but thats a long shot.

/ Well Pump issues #4  
Re-reading your post - get some new clamps and double clamp the fittings. If it doesn't change you could hit the fittings/poly pipe briefly with a torch then tighten, but getting the poly off after you heat it up will be a PIA, so remove the pipe first and if a single pipe system, take the pump apart and check the ejector.

/ Well Pump issues
It is just one pipe, that is not good news. I'm thinking the thermal overload is shutting the pump off and not the water pressure. That would explain why it is shutting off without pressure.

Could this be the pump is not designed to lift from the distance the well is at? I know his well is not close to his house, probably over 75 feet in front of his house and I do not know how deep it is. This pump is only designed to lift from 70ft. deep. I know that wayne makes one with 186ft head lift. I may have him try that pump.

/ Well Pump issues #6  
You need to size the hp and pump to the lift (head) and flow needed. If the head is too big or too small the motor could be overloaded ( causing the thermal ol’ to trip). You could try to close the taps down to limit the flow. An ammeter and the pump curve are your friends.

/ Well Pump issues #7  
If there is only one pipe from the well to the pump, it is a shallow well. A shallow well pump can only lift 30' maximum. The 70' stated on the box is for a deep well, two pipe setup.

As stated above, the pump can be stopped by the pressure switch or the thermal over-load switch in the motor, which seems to be your issue. Most people don't realize that a high flow will cause a high load on a centrifugal pump. As noted above, throttle the discharge valve to reduce the flow.

But, first, how was the pump hooked up? Is a shallow well ejector installed? You can't just plug the small hole on the pump and hook the suction pipe to the large one. That would cause the symptoms you're seeing though.

Can you post a picture or two?

Edit, I meant to add that low voltage to the motor can also cause over heating. Measure the voltage with the pump running. You don't have a 220v motor running on 110v, do you?

/ Well Pump issues #8  
Also, do those above ground pumps run so hot you cannot touch the motor, because this one was?
Any chance you've got it wired up 120V instead of 240V or the other way 'round?

/ Well Pump issues #9  
Any chance you've got it wired up 120V instead of 240V or the other way 'round?
His pump can be run either way, but the wires are hooked up differently.

Last edited:
   / Well Pump issues #10  
My first thought is the voltage. Most motors are multi voltage and easy to change. Check the incoming voltage, then check which way the motor is wired.