welding carts

/ welding carts #141  
Does this have to be a portable cable or could you hard wire it for your location?

/ welding carts #143  
Spring Rummage sales? if your lucky bought this 8 gauge one unused for 25 bucks a few yrs back factory wired with correct plugs so no mods felt a little guilty for only paying that much. It's 25-30 ft use it often.

Attachments

• KIMG1872.JPG
    KIMG1872.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
   / welding carts #144  
Not got a single reponce from the FB add "power cord wanted" as of yet... Oh well.
It's probably one of those things that once you get a good length of heavy, flexible wire, you don't ever want to get rid of it as the cost to replace is too high.

I had 50' welding leads for my arc welder stored at my grandmother's house in the garage. After she passed away, my father rented the house out for extra income and didn't let me know. After he had to evict the renter, he asked for some assistance cleaning the place out. The only thing missing from the garage was the 50' leads. Grrrrr! :mad:

/ welding carts #145  
Geez 10' of 8gauge pure copper stranded three wire without plugs is over 50 bucks on scamazon. Good luck.

/ welding carts #146  
It's probably one of those things that once you get a good length of heavy, flexible wire, you don't ever want to get rid of it as the cost to replace is too high.

I had 50' welding leads for my arc welder stored at my grandmother's house in the garage. After she passed away, my father rented the house out for extra income and didn't let me know. After he had to evict the renter, he asked for some assistance cleaning the place out. The only thing missing from the garage was the 50' leads. Grrrrr! :mad:
unfortunately it was probably scrapped, can't fathom the number of serviceable heavier gauge copper extension cords or welding leads scrapped for pennies on the dollar.

/ welding carts
Rummage sales are great for people with lots of free time. We'd rather be in the woods clearing trails.

/ welding carts #149  
I remember buying the cable to make mine at Lowes and thinking the price was high back then. By the time you buy the correct plugs, it may be less expensive to buy the premade cables from whatever source you think best. With Amazon, at least they have easy returns.

/ welding carts #150  
It may help if you know what you're hunting.

SOOW - 600V all-rubber construction. Best for cold weather, but not the highest chemical resistance.
SJOOW - 300V version of the same
SEOOW - 600V thermoplastic jacket. Better chemical resistance, but can be stiff in cold weather.
SJEOOW= 300V version of the same.

In all cases, the "S" is for "Service cord" and the "OOW" is for Oil resistant jacket, Oil Resistant insulation, and Water resistant jacket. I believe "J" comes from Junior, for 300V (versus older 600V standard).

My personal favorite is SOOW, which has the oil and weather resistance, and stays flexible in all weather. But you'll pay $10.55/ft for SOOW in 3x8AWG, versus only $3.82/ft for SEOOW, at McMaster-Carr. Expect local pricing to have a similar 3:1 ratio, between the two.