Utility Trailer Question

/ Utility Trailer Question #1  

PhilG327

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 852
I have a BCS 852 with the GX390 Honda engine. Bought locally with a brush mower and a sickle mower nearly 10 (?) years ago. I need to use the BCS to pull a utility trailer I used to pull with a riding mower. I know I need a tow coupler and some modifications to the utility trailer to make this work, but it appears that the tow coupler bends down to connect with the trailer? Correct? The clevis mounting bracket on the 852 is about 17-18" high and the tongue on the trailer is about 7-8" high. Anyone towing a trailer have other suggestions?

Much Appreciated!

/ Utility Trailer Question #2  
I'd put a dogleg in trailer tongue so that trailer sit's level when hitched to tractor. If you plan going back towing with lawn mower or ATV some times,build a new tongue for tractor.

/ Utility Trailer Question
Sorry. Been gone a while mostly due to health issues. Been looking at the Raveena 16 cubic foot dumping cart from Earthtools to replace my utility vehicle that died last fall. Need something to haul compost, fence posts, trellis tools and etc. around my fairly hilly part of the Driftless Region in southwest Wisconsin. It's not the 4x4 I wanted, but any UTV 4x4 is way out of my meager budget. Anyone out there using one of these trailers on hilly/rough trails? I don't want to be one of those guys who ends up in the obituaries with the note: "killed when his tractor overturned". I see at least one of those every summer.

Advice as always welcome !

/ Utility Trailer Question #4  
Welcome back!
I have been towing an Agri-Fab 10 cu. ft. dump cart with our BCS 732 for about five years. It is attached using the EarthTools tow coupler and a piece of 1 1/4" pipe. I have overloaded it many times causing the wheel bearings made in 'you know where' to fail - replaced them with European made SKF bearings and watching what I load. Our property is mildly hilly and, as I have no extra wheel or engine weights, it struggles to haul firewood uphill - I often have to jump off and push! It flies in 3rd (transport) gear but I keep forgetting that there is no engine braking in that gear!! Anyway, though this trailer is quite small, it works for me.
Cheers.

/ Utility Trailer Question #5  
Is there no way to get a driven wheel trailer for the BCS 852?

I have a Goldoni Special with the driven trailer, and its great. Having the wheels that turn under the load means that it actually goes better up muddy hills with a load in it.

WesKootenay,
do you have a seat on the dump cart and if so, it doesn't feel tippy when you ride? Or do you use it as a walk-behind?

freedomlives,
I am not aware of any powered trailer for the BCS machines, but I will look around. Might be expensive though and I am on a very tight budget.

/ Utility Trailer Question #8  
WesKootenay,
do you have a seat on the dump cart and if so, it doesn't feel tippy when you ride? Or do you use it as a walk-behind?

Being frugal (cheap), I have a piece of 1x6. No, it doesn't feel tippy at all, though I have poked myself in the ribs making a tight turn :laughing:

freedomlives,
I am not aware of any powered trailer for the BCS machines, but I will look around. Might be expensive though and I am on a very tight budget.

As far as I know, they are only available in N. America for Grillos?

What sort of 1 1/4" pipe? Heavy water pipe or something more like aluminum conduit? I could maybe bend conduit, but not sure how I'd bend a water pipe?

/ Utility Trailer Question #10  
What sort of 1 1/4" pipe? Heavy water pipe or something more like aluminum conduit? I could maybe bend conduit, but not sure how I'd bend a water pipe?

Snow is finally starting to melt today, I'll see if I can take a decent picture of my setup.
The pipe is a piece of black-iron gas line that my neighbor gave me.