Transportation Chain and Binders

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #11  
And the 10 footers are plenty long? I suspect they are, but have not yet loaded the tractor to see. I have a rub rail and stake pockets, and eight D-Ring tiedowns, so I would think four 10 footers would be plenty.

A 10 footer is a little short to go all the way across. If you’re using 4 chains 10 foot is more than sufficient.

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #13  
   / Transportation Chain and Binders #14  
When it comes to purchasing chains and binders for hauling my JD 2150 tractor (approximately 7000lbs with FEL and Ballast), are the 5/16 - G70 chains and binders from https://www.uscargocontrol.com/collections/transport-chain-and-binder-packages sufficient, or have any of you had bad luck with imported chains? With a 4,700 WLL, I imagine four chains is more than sufficient to bind it properly, even if the chain is inferior to US made chain?
View attachment 730302
I’ve had the exact same chains and binders for over 20 years. Works just fine and no breakage. I have never seen any U.S. made binder chains for sale anywhere.

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #15  
I have plenty of chain for securing loads or towing, dragging. Inherited a lot from my Dad. I did buy 2 20'ers and extra hooks at Tractor Supply (they are foreign made). I cut them in half, added new hooks and dedicated those 4 for securing tractor or vehicles. Plus more chain for implements. It's been 20 plus years now without any problems. I inspect the chains for any signs of weakness. I used straps before the chain but found I had to replace them every couple years due to wear.
What is the difference between 2 10 foot chains on the rear or one 20 foot chain secured through the drawbar and fastened in two corners of the trailer? If you do the same in the front, you have tie-downs on 4 corners of the trailer.

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #16  
What is the difference between 2 10 foot chains on the rear or one 20 foot chain secured through the drawbar and fastened in two corners of the trailer? If you do the same in the front, you have tie-downs on 4 corners of the trailer.

Because the 2 chains are 2 chains so 2x the working load and the load can’t shift sideways. With 1 chain going through the drawbar you only have the working load of one chain and minimal resistance to side shifting.

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #17  
Because the 2 chains are 2 chains so 2x the working load and the load can’t shift sideways. With 1 chain going through the drawbar you only have the working load of one chain and minimal resistance to side shifting.
Good point. But I thought the requirement was 4 tie down locations, not 4 chains?

/ Transportation Chain and Binders
Good point. But I thought the requirement was 4 tie down locations, not 4 chains?
On a 10k plus piece of equipment, I believe it's four separate chains and binders. My tractor is under that weight, but I may someday need to haul something that is, and I want to cover my bases.

/ Transportation Chain and Binders #20  
I cut two 20ft chains down to 8ft/12ft with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other, seems you always need some a little longer or shorter, works well for me. I also keep two 20ft chains in the truck.

I prefer 4 chains even on my 7k tractor, for binders I like a ratcheting style with the folding handle. I prefer US or other quality chains but haven't seen any problems with the cheaper imports. Last couple 5/16 g70 chains I bought were actually from harbor freight because I needed them right then, have had them for 7 or 8 years with regular use and seem to be holding up fine.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app