Trail cam for driveway security

/ Trail cam for driveway security #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I want to purchase several trail cams that I will use primarily to monitor my driveway and shop area when I'm gone. I might occasionally use them for wildlife too, like when we are having bear problems, etc. Since I want to buy 3 or 4 price is a big factor.

I have Moultrie that is small but doesn't take the best images, and an old Bushnell that takes great photos but the box is too large to hide effectively.

What cams do you like that are not too expensive?

/ Trail cam for driveway security #2  
I have had great luck with Brownings;they do make some lower priced ones.

/ Trail cam for driveway security #4  
I am replacing my older game cam with Browning 3 so far,Browing gives good clear picture also good night range.

/ Trail cam for driveway security #5  
Our deer camp is going with the ones that send pictures via cell phone. Not cheap but very nice to be able to monitor remotely.

/ Trail cam for driveway security #6  
I want to purchase several trail cams that I will use primarily to monitor my driveway and shop area when I'm gone. I might occasionally use them for wildlife too, like when we are having bear problems, etc. Since I want to buy 3 or 4 price is a big factor.

I have Moultrie that is small but doesn't take the best images, and an old Bushnell that takes great photos but the box is too large to hide effectively.

What cams do you like that are not too expensive?

If you have a smart phone, they have them that will transmit to it. Those would be the best for driveway security.

Ralph

/ Trail cam for driveway security #8  
How long is the driveway? Distance from wifi?

/ Trail cam for driveway security #9  
Sorry for the long post... I deal with these questions from our clients all the time....

So IMHO... unless the trail cam is WiFi or cellular based... it is only a driveway camera not a security device.... I mean sure, you might have a pic or video which is just a record of an event that has happened & it is usually (almost always) way after the fact... Upon your discovery of something missing / broken / or damaged... then you review the footage... This to me is not a security device... it is a recording device. If your trying to monitor an area while your away you need notification of the event when it is happening...

With many WiFi or Cellular cams you can be notified as an event is happening (usually within a minute or less) & review the event on your mobile device; then you can take action as the event is happening. Some of these cams can be purchased for not much more than a standard trail cam, depending on the features & options.

As workinonit mentioned Spypoint makes some nice cellular based cameras which are design as trail cams... If you are looking for more of a security based cam that could be used as a trail cam also, I would look at Vosker. The non-solar powered Vosker cam (V100) runs nationally for about $199 right now... with a SD Card & cellular SIM card included. It includes up to 100 free images sent to the mobile device app every month; this is included with the price of the camera. Plans are available for greater than 100 images & additional feature but no contracts or terms; you can purchase a larger package for 1 month & then go back to the free service the following month if you choose...

Here is some info I posted on them in a previous post on TBN:

If you decide to look at a cellular based camera you may want to look at a security based cellular camera (you can use them for trail cams also). I'm not directly associated with them but... full discloser... our company is a dealer for Vosker & we have had very positive results & feedback on them. I personally have been testing 3 of them (along with a couple others in the company testing their own) for the past 4+ month with very good results.

A couple feature not on a standard game cellular cam:
- Solar option - the V200 has a solar panel for charging & has a battery back-up for when solar power is low. I've been running mine for just over 3 month without direct sunlight (maybe 60%) still fully charged.
- Camera includes Sim Card (no additional activation on a separate cellular plan) & includes an SD memory card
- The price of the camera includes 100 free images every month (yes zero charge) via their the app. Subscriptions required for some features & additional picture (over 100) notifications. (Spypoint does this also)
- My personal concern was delay time to receive an image from when it was taken... My personal experience has been in about 1 min (usually less)... that is from when the unit detects motion, takes the picture, cellularly uploads it & then delivers it via the app. (of course both the camera & you have to be on a network for it to work that fast. (not the same network... just a network)
- System has AI abilities with subscriptions - can be programmed to only detect people or vehicles (In my opinion this has been about 85% accurate... not full-proof)
- If the unit is Stolen the camera can labeled as so in the APP & the next time it is scheduled to report in it will transmit its locating via the internal Sim via GPS. It will do so even if no motion is detected as long as it has battery power.
- Multi-shot & Pic / Video capture capability
- Camera resolution HD 1920?080 on SD Card and 600?38 on Mobile App

It is basically a trail cam with security features... (really a security cam with trail cam features) just an option for you to look at. We were unsure how it would accepted by our clients.. but we have sold units to construction (site) companies, horse property owners, camp owners, farmers, private home owners, remote camp / landowners.. etc. (it has been better received then we thought). Just remember it needs cellular signal (mine is running on only 2 bars with limited solar / 60%)...

If you would like to check them out: (again full disclosure, we are dealers for Vosker... but it is not why I'm posting this... if you decide to purchase one... please find / locate a local dealer [we are not an online retailer].... I am posting this because I like the product thus far (I'm in systems designs & programing)... (If you are interested & can not find a local dealer please let me know I will find you one (via Vosker).

VOSKER(R) Mobile 4G/LTE Security Cameras | VOSKER | Mobile Security Cameras

I'm Still running 3 of them & very happy with the results.....

/ Trail cam for driveway security
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My driveway to the house is about 1100 ft. Then another 900 ft of loop around the shop. My wi-fi does not reach the shop but I have (usually) cell reception at both the house and the shop. I need to do more research, mostly I was thinking that I wanted to see who (if anyone) was on my property, but getting notification real-time would be valuable. Maybe I need both in various locations, but lately I've been focused on reducing the number of monthly subscription payments, most of which are small but they add up.