Tractor Causing Stress on Neck

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #31  
Two neck spinal fusion surgeries here, C4-C5-C6-C7 all fused into one piece. Also a tumor removed from the base of my neck, and a lower spinal surgery just to round things out. I had to make accommodations, and they turned out well.
For one thing, I bought very big glass golf cart mirrors, convex ones, and mounted two of them butted together side to side just above my line of sight, underneath my canopy. If I didn't have the canopy I would have clamped a framework to my ROPS. I get really good vision straight behind and pretty far out to the sides.
For another thing, I put a third one of these mirrors above and slightly behind me. It's basically horizontal. It lets me look down on the 3PT, the drawbar, the PTO, and the backs of the rears. It's especially useful for lining things up while connecting, and also for pulling roots. I tilt my head back about as far as I comfortably can to use it.
Though, these don't sound as good to me as any of the front PTO or reversible tractor options. There was a NH reversible tractor which looked almost symmetrical front back (I don't think they make it anymore but am not sure), a pretty big sucker too, and videos I've seen sure look nice.

You don't want to be one of those people who wind up needing to have their neck removed. What an ugly ugly procedure, and an ugly ugly way to have to live.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #32  
Looking for suggestions, if there are any. I've had 2 tractors in the past, both of them are gone now. I am contemplating my next purchase, but I fear there is no good solution. 1st tractor had a 6 foot brush hog and I found myself turning my neck way too much trying to keep the cutter in line with the last pass so as to not leave anything uncut. 2nd tractor was much larger with a 12 foot flex wing. I had mirrors on that tractor which helped, unless I got too close to the trees and it would knock the mirrors out of whack - so that didn't help much.

4 years ago I had neck surgery, so I've got a fusion already on 2 vertebrae in my neck. I'm not willing to stress my neck just so I can keep my fields cut. I already have them cut for hay twice a year, so the only time I really have to brush hog is once during the year after the 1st frost. I have hired out someone to cut in the past, but it costs me at least $1K every time, and that's if I can find someone to do it.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a setup where the cutter is on the front instead of in the back but I don't know of any US tractors that have a front mounted PTO. The other option is a skid steer, which would be nice, but they are extremely expensive as are the cutter attachments.

We are new to the farming community and I've talked to alot of the farmers around here and was surprised to learn many of the older ones have neck and back issues. I don't want to be another statistic, so I either need to find something that cuts in the front or pay someone to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
you dont look back very much except to check on the mower just every now and then..if the mower is making a noise,etc

your front wheels should be spread open while mowing so you should line up the mower by watching where one of the front wheels is depending on which way you are mowing..if you keep the mower serviced regularly to grease the fittings , especially the pto shaft universal joints, and making sure it has oil in it before each use,the mower should hardly ever have to be looked at while mowing..

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #33  
That's the cure right there. If you can no longer handle the work, lease the land out for hay or small plots. Saves the expense of a tractor and make money watching. The alternative is more/better drugs. ;)
whu hoppen dare

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #34  
you dont need to look back very much except to check on the mower just every now and then..if the mower is making a noise,etc

your front wheels should be spread open while mowing so you should line up the mower by watching where one of the front wheels is depending on which way you are mowing..if you keep the mower serviced regularly to grease the fittings , especially the pto shaft universal joints, and making sure it has oil in it before each use,the mower should hardly ever have to be looked at while mowing..
also when mowing keep your hand close to the lift lever in case you hit something not seen like a piece of metal, brick,etc to quickly raise it up the second it whangs and bangs and tears up the blades,gearbox,etc...practice this by hitting the lift lever when the tractor if off and you close your eyes while going to the lift lever...one half a second or less to pull the lift lever to lift it quickly can save you a lot of money in repairs...i learned all this by having 329 years of mowing starting when i was a puppy...

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #35  
Antonio Carraro tractor with the reversible platform could be another option.

View attachment 802385
I can’t believe these tractors haven’t exploded in popularity here in the states. Small, tough, maneuverable, stable on steep hills.
I could literally build another business division cutting steep banks with one of them.
Have seen a few for sale at VERY affordable prices, but dealer support would be very difficult.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #36  
also when mowing keep your hand close to the lift lever in case you hit something not seen like a piece of metal, brick,etc to quickly raise it up the second it whangs and bangs and tears up the blades,gearbox,etc...practice this by hitting the lift lever when the tractor if off and you close your eyes while going to the lift lever...one half a second or less to pull the lift lever to lift it quickly can save you a lot of money in repairs...i learned all this by having 329 years of mowing starting when i was a puppy...
Yep, you never know when you might hit something to bend a blade….

1685441683836.jpeg

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #37  
I had the same problem with arthritis and long hours of forward/revers while using a rotary cutter and other implements. I tried numerous tractors starting with Steiner which ended up too small, no ground clearance, no lift height (I never tried the loader).

Then I moved up to a Goldoni reversible tractor, it was a gear drive and after all day, my knees hurt.

I then tried a Power Trac it is a hydrostatic articulated tractor with a quick attach loader and has a hydraulic PTO for dozens of implement, all on the front of the tractor. I liked it so much I bought three sizes (18hp gas, 30hp diesel {now replace by a 30hp gas} and a 65hp diesel). I use the 18hp with a rotary cutter in tight spaces and it couldn’t be better. They are low to the ground so very easy to get on and off yet the bottom is steel plate so you can use 110% of the ground clearance not like Kubota’s etc with delicate hoses and linkage to hit, even know it is much higher. I seldom use my conventional tractors much anymore.

If you’re interested I could tell you more about them.

Attachments

• 1460 side view kind of.jpg
    1460 side view kind of.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 55
  • oct22 2.jpeg
    oct22 2.jpeg
    675.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 55294@2x.jpg
    55294@2x.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 55
   / Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #39  
It shouldn't be since I'm really only doing it once a year. I'm trying to save my neck in the coming years. I don't want to compromise my ability to articulate my neck. The neck fusion was due primarily because I sat in front of a computer to many years. Now that I'm retired, I guess I should have picked a more suitable vocation (such as retirement living) instead of trying to maintain a large amount of land..
What would happen if you didn't mow once per year? Is the 40 acres still manageable when being cut for hay?

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #40  
I can’t believe these tractors haven’t exploded in popularity here in the states. Small, tough, maneuverable, stable on steep hills.
I could literally build another business division cutting steep banks with one of them.
Have seen a few for sale at VERY affordable prices, but dealer support would be very difficult.
I agree 100%. I was actually pretty serious at one point about getting an Antonio Carraro and putting a heavy-duty flail mower on it and do custom brush mowing. Maybe they would be a bit small for your application. They import up to 75 hp models. They have bigger ones but those arent imported due to emissions reasons. Those are the ones i really want. Also, check out their Mach 4 model. It's basically the same tractor, but a quad-track. In my mind, it's one of the coolest tractors in its size category.
Nearly all the Antonio Carraro models have the option of turning the seat and steering wheel around so you're looking out over the 3 pt/pto. The visibility is phenomenal.