Tractor Causing Stress on Neck

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #21  
More information about how many acres and the terrain could be helpful in offering suggestions.

A wider cutter that allowed the OP to cut in fewer passes at slower speeds would seem the better option than getting jarred trying to go faster with a more narrow cutter.

Maybe the least expensive option would be mirrors and/or a rearview camera/monitor setup.

It would be great if there was an inexpensive PTO driven front mount cutter just from the viewpoint of cutting brush instead of having to drive over it to cut it first, but I guess they don't exist in the USA?

But regardless, a really good seat would seem to be a priority.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck
Maybe 40 acres. With a 12 foot batwing it would take me two solid days to cut. Lots of rolling hills. Nothing around here seems to be level or smooth. I had a 90hp JD with an air ride seat which made things easier, but it did not swivel. As I mentioned earlier, I had mirrors but I would oftentimes get them knocked out of whack if I got too close to the trees, which was more often than not. I am currently tractor less, got rid of the JD and the batwing. I want something smaller. I like the MF setup with a front mounted PTO but I haven't priced them yet.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #23  
A shield could be fabricated for the mirrors similar to the shields others have made for their taillights.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #24  
OP, I feel your pain. Spine surgeon who fused my neck said a spine is like an old log chain. If you weld two chain links together, then the adjacent links wear even faster. Fast forward a few decades and a lot of time on vehicles with no suspension and it made mine worse, even without trying to crank my head around backwards.

Could you use a side mounted mower that doesn't require turning so far, like a sickle mower or flail mower?

OP, I feel your pain. Spine surgeon who fused my neck said a spine is like an old log chain. If you weld two chain links together, then the adjacent links wear even faster. Fast forward a few decades and a lot of time on vehicles with no suspension and it made mine worse, even without trying to crank my head around backwards.

Could you use a side mounted mower that doesn't require turning so far, like a sickle mower or flail mower?
I just bought a flail mower for my Grasshopper mower, but I don't think I can mow 40 acres with it. It will mainly be used to do the 5 or so acres around the house and in the tree canopies. Side mount is a possibility, but I would prefer something out front. I had JD demo their skid steer but after buying an expensive attachment to brush hog I just couldn't justify the price. May have to just find these young guys and let them do it.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #26  
I just bought a flail mower for my Grasshopper mower, but I don't think I can mow 40 acres with it. It will mainly be used to do the 5 or so acres around the house and in the tree canopies. Side mount is a possibility, but I would prefer something out front. I had JD demo their skid steer but after buying an expensive attachment to brush hog I just couldn't justify the price. May have to just find these young guys and let them do it.

For me, the bobble-head effect that also hurts a fused neck is worse on short wheelbased vehicles, like my tracked loader and zero turn.

Good luck.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #27  
If you had to spend the same amount of time driving in the best riding car as you would spend cutting 40 acres, would it still hurt your neck? Tend to wonder if the sheer amount of acres being cut is a part of the problem?

If you had to spend the same amount of time driving in the best riding car as you would spend cutting 40 acres, would it still hurt your neck? Tend to wonder if the sheer amount of acres being cut is a part of the problem?
It shouldn't be since I'm really only doing it once a year. I'm trying to save my neck in the coming years. I don't want to compromise my ability to articulate my neck. The neck fusion was due primarily because I sat in front of a computer to many years. Now that I'm retired, I guess I should have picked a more suitable vocation (such as retirement living) instead of trying to maintain a large amount of land..

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #29  
Maybe 40 acres. With a 12 foot batwing it would take me two solid days to cut. Lots of rolling hills. Nothing around here seems to be level or smooth. I had a 90hp JD with an air ride seat which made things easier, but it did not swivel. As I mentioned earlier, I had mirrors but I would oftentimes get them knocked out of whack if I got too close to the trees, which was more often than not. I am currently tractor less, got rid of the JD and the batwing. I want something smaller. I like the MF setup with a front mounted PTO but I haven't priced them yet.
Is it clean enough that you find somebody to cut hay on it? Then they would keep it knocked down.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #30  
Is it clean enough that you find somebody to cut hay on it? Then they would keep it knocked down.

Aaron Z
That's the cure right there. If you can no longer handle the work, lease the land out for hay or small plots. Saves the expense of a tractor and make money watching. The alternative is more/better drugs. ;)