Tractor Causing Stress on Neck

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #1  

DanielDD

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5090E
Looking for suggestions, if there are any. I've had 2 tractors in the past, both of them are gone now. I am contemplating my next purchase, but I fear there is no good solution. 1st tractor had a 6 foot brush hog and I found myself turning my neck way too much trying to keep the cutter in line with the last pass so as to not leave anything uncut. 2nd tractor was much larger with a 12 foot flex wing. I had mirrors on that tractor which helped, unless I got too close to the trees and it would knock the mirrors out of whack - so that didn't help much.

4 years ago I had neck surgery, so I've got a fusion already on 2 vertebrae in my neck. I'm not willing to stress my neck just so I can keep my fields cut. I already have them cut for hay twice a year, so the only time I really have to brush hog is once during the year after the 1st frost. I have hired out someone to cut in the past, but it costs me at least $1K every time, and that's if I can find someone to do it.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a setup where the cutter is on the front instead of in the back but I don't know of any US tractors that have a front mounted PTO. The other option is a skid steer, which would be nice, but they are extremely expensive as are the cutter attachments.

We are new to the farming community and I've talked to alot of the farmers around here and was surprised to learn many of the older ones have neck and back issues. I don't want to be another statistic, so I either need to find something that cuts in the front or pay someone to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #2  
I would suggest getting a camera and monitor setup. You could mount camera on tractor behind seat or in cab if equipped. Monitor can be mounted wherever works the beat for you. That to me would allow you to keep an eye on things without having to look over your shoulder.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #3  
Once you know where the mower is in relation to the tractor you can pretty accurately mow consecutive straight rows. Maybe you'll have a little more overlap than optimal but that's ok. Turns and mowing around fences or trees would be tough without turning around or a good rear facing camera system.

Kubota offers a quick change front mount with PTO for some of their CUTS that looks really slick but probably costs a lot. A couple people here have made their own front PTO for driving a snow blower but you'd be fabricating a lot of parts.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #4  
I know where the mower edge is relative to front tire. I rarely ever look back. However I did get rid of a rear mounted snow blower due to neck strain.

Andy

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #5  
If your tractor has enough hydraulic flow, this is a front mount tractor mower. Lane Shark - Lane Shark

The other thing is fields are pretty bumpy and it's really important to have a suspension seat to absorb the jolts.

Another front mount mower option would be to get either a Steiner or Ventrac with a front mount rough cut mower.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #7  
Looking for suggestions, if there are any. I've had 2 tractors in the past, both of them are gone now. I am contemplating my next purchase, but I fear there is no good solution. 1st tractor had a 6 foot brush hog and I found myself turning my neck way too much trying to keep the cutter in line with the last pass so as to not leave anything uncut. 2nd tractor was much larger with a 12 foot flex wing. I had mirrors on that tractor which helped, unless I got too close to the trees and it would knock the mirrors out of whack - so that didn't help much.

4 years ago I had neck surgery, so I've got a fusion already on 2 vertebrae in my neck. I'm not willing to stress my neck just so I can keep my fields cut. I already have them cut for hay twice a year, so the only time I really have to brush hog is once during the year after the 1st frost. I have hired out someone to cut in the past, but it costs me at least $1K every time, and that's if I can find someone to do it.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a setup where the cutter is on the front instead of in the back but I don't know of any US tractors that have a front mounted PTO. The other option is a skid steer, which would be nice, but they are extremely expensive as are the cutter attachments.

We are new to the farming community and I've talked to alot of the farmers around here and was surprised to learn many of the older ones have neck and back issues. I don't want to be another statistic, so I either need to find something that cuts in the front or pay someone to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I do know that john deere's new tractors, the big ones have the seat that rotates around so that you can see without turning your neck.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #8  

I have neck issues from turning my head so much and previous sports injuries, I went and bought a tractor with a front 3point/PTO and put the hay mower out front. Has really helped.

1685095329761.jpeg

1685095443354.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #10  
I might be buying this tractor, but I’m not crazy about it. Has front 3 point/PTO and a quicke loader.

1685097491327.jpeg

1685097571465.jpeg