Too many tiller options

/ Too many tiller options #11  
Four (4) foot to Forty (40) foot width Tiller Options:

Last edited:
   / Too many tiller options
A Field Cultivator without a rear basket does not fluff soil at all. Example: Dirt Dog APP. Fissures allow rain to carry nutrients down, with decreasing amounts carried down at over 6" depth.

A Field Cultivator with a rear basket, like the Perfecta, will fluff your soil a little. Look at output shown during various videos.

Conservation plow output is heavy enough that neither wind nor rain will carry away nutrients nor seeds. Good on moderate slopes.
Several of the videos looked like it was tilled with the amount of fluffiness shown. I'm guessing the perfecta wouldnt accomplish that in my clay based soil?

I'm open to any option really, as long as I can get my additives in it make hills.

/ Too many tiller options #13  
How would thaat do in fluffing the soil for my additives?
I have and use a 72” 9 shank version of that plow. It deep penetrates and aerates the soil but doesn’t make a fluffy planting bed. I follow up with a tiller after the deep soil plowing. I have a clay loam soil type.

Last edited:
   / Too many tiller options #14  
Describe your soil.
It's mostly clay and scattered flat rocks.
I'm guessing the perfecta wouldnt accomplish that in my clay based soil?

A spring-protected All Purpose Plow like the Dirt Dog brand or very, very similar Bush Hog brand APP will penetrate and fissure optimally moist soil 10" - 12" deep anywhere a Roto-tiller will mix the same optimally moist soil 5" deep. However, these relatively light, spring-protected conservation plows only come in max 85" width, which would be a no more than a moderate pull for your TN75S. (An "L" shape implement frame has only so much torsion resistance.)

While designed for SECONDARY tillage, I have pulled the Dirt Dog APP through long established Bahia pasture grass with 7" to 9" roots when the soil below was optimally moist. The purpose was deep aeration of the pasture. Heavy sod growing on rock free sandy-loam in Florida.

Did you read the long Dirt Dog review LINK in Post #7?

Unprotected S-tine Field Cultivators are generally much less robust than APPs with spring protection.
However, Unverferth, maker of the Perfecta, is a full-on implement producer for the Big Ag market. The Perfecta has a strong box frame. The Perfecta has shanks (Models 10-12-14) available in three degrees of robustness. Others do not. I suggest you call Unverferth Customer Service and discuss your soil directly with them. Discuss what width Perfecta your TN75S can pull with each of three tines of varying robustness.

Unverferth manufactures Perfectas for 600-horsepower tractors.

Did you watch all the YouTube LINKS to Perfecta videos?

Your next heavier option is a spring-protected Chisel Plow. Buckeye Tractor produces four Chisel Plow variants rated for 75-horsepower tractors.

Last edited:
   / Too many tiller options #15  
Describe your soil.
It's mostly clay and scattered flat rocks.
I'm guessing the perfecta wouldnt accomplish that in my clay based soil?

A spring-protected All Purpose Plow like the Dirt Dog brand or very, very similar Bush Hog brand APP will penetrate and fissure soil anywhere a Roto-tiller will churn the same soil. However, these relatively light, spring-protected conservation plows only come in 85" width, max, which would be a moderate pull for your TN75S.

Did you read the Dirt Dog review LINK in Post #7?

The unprotected S-tine Field Cultivators are generally much less robust than APPs with spring protection.
However, Unverferth, maker of the Perfecta, is a full-on implement producer for the Big Ag market. The Perfecta has shanks available in three degrees of robustness. Others do not. I suggest you call Unverferth Customer Service and discuss your soil directly with them. Discuss what width Perfecta your TN75S can pull with each of three tines of varying robustness.

Your next heavier option is a heavy, spring-protected Chisel Plow, but your TN75S does not have enough weight/power to pull any but the smallest Chisel Plow through clay based soil with rocks. Buckeye Tractor produces four Chisel Plow variants rated for 75-horsepower tractors.
Details in the green tab labeled Price List.
The Fred Cain 8’ unit would work well with the OP’s tractor (sold by everything implements). I have the Fred Cain plow and pull the 7’ 9 shank model easily at maximum depth with my 60hp tractor in my heavy soil.

/ Too many tiller options #16  
Fred Cain, Dirt Dog and Bush Hog APPs are identical except for paint colors.

Everything Attachments no longer markets the Fred Cain proprietary brand. Sad.

Last edited:
   / Too many tiller options #19  
Hey all. I'm in the middle of purchasing a smaller tractor and need a tiller for it. The tractor is a New Holland TN75S with 16 speed ranges and MFWD. The tires are set to their widest at about 96" and I'd like to see if there's something you know I'd be able to run or if I MUST set my tires more narrow.

I'd love to get a reverse tine tiller. From my research it looks like I might have to get something smaller, then have a welder offset it to cover 1 tire track and just work like that.

What do you think?
I would not get a reverse rotation tiller. It throws the rocks toward the tractor. I have a 72" Bush Hog tiller that I really like. Forward rotation.

/ Too many tiller options #20  
Hey all. I'm in the middle of purchasing a smaller tractor and need a tiller for it. The tractor is a New Holland TN75S with 16 speed ranges and MFWD. The tires are set to their widest at about 96" and I'd like to see if there's something you know I'd be able to run or if I MUST set my tires more narrow.

I'd love to get a reverse tine tiller. From my research it looks like I might have to get something smaller, then have a welder offset it to cover 1 tire track and just work like that.

What do you think?
90" to 99" Tractor Rotary Tillers - Rototillers www.durattach.com