Too many tiller options

/ Too many tiller options #1  

Atypical_decorum

Silver Member
Tractor
Ultra-Wide B7500 & looking for a 100hp
Hey all. I'm in the middle of purchasing a smaller tractor and need a tiller for it. The tractor is a New Holland TN75S with 16 speed ranges and MFWD. The tires are set to their widest at about 96" and I'd like to see if there's something you know I'd be able to run or if I MUST set my tires more narrow.

I'd love to get a reverse tine tiller. From my research it looks like I might have to get something smaller, then have a welder offset it to cover 1 tire track and just work like that.

What do you think?

/ Too many tiller options #2  
How many acres do you need to cultivate?

Will you grow a market crop or is this for food plots on hunting land?

Is your land flat, sloped or mixed? How much of each category?

Describe your soil.

/ Too many tiller options
How many acres do you need to cultivate? The main spot is about 1 acre on a hill Slope - about 15 to 18 degrees. The second area is about 1/2 acre on a slip about 20 degrees.

Will you grow a market crop or is this for food plots on hunting land? This is for my families food. Tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, herbs, beans, etc etc.

Is your land flat, sloped or mixed? How much of each category? It's nearly all sloped. At the steepest you can't walk and the flatest is about 10 degrees. There's about 7 acres of flat area in the hollar, but it's lined by 75ft trees and there's no sun but 3hrs a day. I'm planning on getting new wheels made for the tractor for some wide and shorter tires to lower my CG and add room for ballast.

Describe your soil. It's mostly clay and scattered flat rocks I'll need to take out as I find them. The soil will have to be amended. There's spots of good soil but not much. I'm adding perlite and vermiculite amongst other things. My last garden was about half the size and we didn't need to shop for much during the year and supplied our neighbors too. All year eating is the goal of this garden.

/ Too many tiller options #4  

New Holland TN75​

New Holland TN75 tractor photo
1999 - 2003
TN Series
Utility tractor
Production
Manufacturer:New Holland
Type:Utility tractor
Factory:Jesi, Italy
TN75S:Super Steer
New Holland TN75 Weight
SuperSteer ROPS Shipping:5370 lbs
2435 kg
New Holland TN75 Power
Engine (gross):75 hp
55.9 kW
Engine (net):72 hp
53.7 kW
PTO (claimed):62 hp
46.2 kW
PTO (tested):63.9 hp
47.7 kW

Last edited:
   / Too many tiller options #5  
Hey all. I'm in the middle of purchasing a smaller tractor and need a tiller for it. The tractor is a New Holland TN75S with 16 speed ranges and MFWD. The tires are set to their widest at about 96" and I'd like to see if there's something you know I'd be able to run or if I MUST set my tires more narrow.

I'd love to get a reverse tine tiller. From my research it looks like I might have to get something smaller, then have a welder offset it to cover 1 tire track and just work like that.

What do you think?
I would consider a little smaller tiller like in the link below and offset the tiller by adjusting the sway chains on your tractor 3 point to the right or left.

/ Too many tiller options #7  
For 1-1/2 acres of sloped land, I would be concerned with potential rain erosion. Has erosion been a factor in the past?

Consider some form of Conservation Plow:

With extensions, available in 96" width:

8' + 10' widths:

YouTube:

Up to 96" Width:

Last edited:
For 1-1/2 acres of sloped land, I would be concerned with potential rain erosion. Has erosion been a factor in the past?

With extensions available in 96" width:
There's been no erosion. But I can also put swales in if needed.

With extensions available in 96" width:

8' + 10' widths:

96" Width:
How would thaat do in fluffing the soil for my additives?

/ Too many tiller options #10  
A Field Cultivator without a rear basket does not fluff soil at all. Example: Dirt Dog APP. Fissures allow rain to carry nutrients down, with decreasing amounts carried down at over 6" depth.

A Field Cultivator with a rear basket, like the Perfecta, will fluff your soil a little. Look at output shown during various videos.

Conservation plow output is heavy enough that neither wind nor rain will carry away nutrients nor seeds. Good on moderate slopes.

These implements are for SECONDARY TILLAGE.

Last edited: