Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
A small stupid thing I do with alarming frequency is, when I’m driving and have to move the sun visor around to block the sun, I’ll be careful to not push the garage door opener buttons so as to not accidentally open the garage door…..even though I may be a hundred miles away from the garage.

Ha.

Well, we have the MyQ app where you can open/close your garage door from anywhere.

We are in Florida and our main home is in STL.

A day or so ago, my son calls at night. Says “Dad, do you know why your garage door is open”?

I say “no “.

He says, “check your app”.

Sure enough, plain as day the app shows I opened the STL garage door. Then I recalled I wanted to open the Florida garage door earlier and for “some reason” it didn’t work. I tried again and it worked. Well, apparently I pressed the wrong door the first time.

Luckily my son caught it.

Now, I’ve disabled the STL doors so I can’t make that mistake again!

Stupid!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #544  
I've been using a touch screen so long that when I tried to read a tiny printed label yesterday, I tried to stretch it.

You are not alone…..I have done that too.

I also mistakenly think store entrances are mostly automatic, so occasionally I find myself standing in front of a manual door for a split second waiting for it to open.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #545  

I also mistakenly think store entrances are mostly automatic, so occasionally I find myself standing in front of a manual door for a split second waiting for it to open.
I have a manual sliding door at the front of the office. I pretty sure less than 10% of the population can figure out how it works without assistance, over 15 years of observation.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #546  
....so occasionally I find myself standing in front of a manual door for a split second waiting for it to open.
My usual thing is to do a faceplant into the glass and then look around to make sure no one saw me.
I've been reading e books for decades and still to this day, on occasion, reach up to the top right corner to flip the page.
I've got a couple of Google Nests, I'll use them for radio, Youtube music, podcasts, grocery lists etc. I've found myself on occasion say the "Hey Google...." while in my truck.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #548  

Those darned things are too slow, I usually put my hand out to get it started sooner. A few years ago I walked out of TSC with 100 lbs of grain on my shoulder... walked right into the stupid automatic door as it didn't open fast enough. I didn't bother to check to see if anybody saw it. 🥺

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #549  
Those darned things are too slow, I usually put my hand out to get it started sooner. A few years ago I walked out of TSC with 100 lbs of grain on my shoulder... walked right into the stupid automatic door as it didn't open fast enough. I didn't bother to check to see if anybody saw it. 🥺
There was an automatic door at one place that I worked that was so slow that I was forever approaching at my normal walking speed (ok, yes, quick 54mph?), and having to quickly stop to let it finish opening. I think that the opening rate was set on "Surfer dude". Never hit, but I came close multiple times. Habits die hard.

All the best,

Peter

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #550  
Agreed. Not really a convenience, when you have to stop in your tracks and wait for the stupid thing! I don't think they were always this way, maybe it's about saving a few cents on heating?