Stump removal .. how deep? Or all?

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #11  
We had a whole bunch of 8" to 40" diameter fir stumps removed last year and based on my experience here's what I would do.

Depending on how many or large stumps you are dealing with, but if it's just 1 to 20 or so, I would rent one of these:

IMG_6515.JPG

For many large stumps I would hire someone who has one of these:

IMG_6621.JPG IMG_6622.JPG

PS.
We had two of these big grinders working at the same time!

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #12  
Hello!

I’m working on regrading a bank and removing some stumps.

They are all 18-26 inch diameter.
Plans are one of the following.
1. Rent a mini ex and dig the entire stump and use the tractor and chain to pull it out.
2. Rent a mini ex and dig it deep, cut it and pull out whatever I can.
3. Hire/rent a stump grinder and grind it as deep as possible.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

The mini ex would be a 5k or so with an 18 inch bucket.
18-26" stumps? You might want a larger excavator. Not saying a mini ex couldn't do it, but it will take a lot of time and you may end up with some stumps that weigh more than what the mini ex can safely handle. You probably need a 20k ex, like a Cat 308 or a Kubota KX080. I rent an excavator every two or three years to use on my farm to do projects. I too, went for the small mini excavator at first. Not enough power and it didn't weigh enough. Now, I usually rent a 40k excavator with a thumb. I would rather the machine be over-kill for the projects than too small for the projects. As far as the waterline, generally locate where it should be and then use a spotter while you are skimming the dirt with the bucket in the general vicinity.

(The spotter should be armed with a shovel, to help locate said water line, before you find it with a toothed excavator bucket)

Last edited:
   / Stump removal .. how deep? Or all?
Are the stumps still green or have they been cut long ago and dead? If still green I would take a chainsaw and cut a thin layer off the top and immeadiately take straight glyophosphate/roundup and put it all the way around the cambium layer/bark which will ensure that the stump won't sprout, then cover with fill dirt. If already dead, just cover with fill dirt. Good luck.
Less than 2 months old.. cut to clear the area for this new ramp..

18-26" stumps? You might want a larger excavator. Not saying a mini ex couldn't do it, but it will take a lot of time and you may end up with some stumps that weigh more than what the mini ex can safely handle. You probably need a 20k ex, like a Cat 308 or a Kubota KX080. I rent an excavator every two or three years to use on my farm to do projects. I too, went for the small mini excavator at first. Not enough power and it didn't weigh enough. Now, I usually rent a 40k excavator with a thumb. I would rather the machine be over-kill for the projects than too small for the projects. As far as the waterline, generally locate where it should be and then use a spotter while you are skimming the dirt with the bucket in the general vicinity.

(The spotter should be armed with a shovel, to help locate said water line, before you find it with a toothed excavator bucket)
The problem is getting a big excavator to us.. the road is a single lane gravel… and the driveway has switchbacks..
So large stuff is tough… I think the grinding and cover might be my path..

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #15  
Less than 2 months old.. cut to clear the area for this new ramp..
Well the cambium layer is already healed over, so just cut a thin sliver off the top and apply the roundup around the outer layer of the stump and she will be through, add your fill dirt and don't look back.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #16  
I did the rent a stump grinder and fill over.
Of course it depends I only had six fairly large stumps.
I rented on Saturday and returned before noon on Monday for a one day rental.
It was a one day project but driving time to pick up and return would take up a half day.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #17  
You can also burn them that's what I like to do. Use a chainsaw to make slots and plunge cuts into the stumps, pour a little diesel in and light it up. Time consuming, but cheap is what I like about it.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #18  
I had 8 or so stumps to deal with. The largest being 24" in dia. I had them ground and covered them with dirt. It was the easiest for me to do.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #19  
JMHO - Radar - I think you have the best idea. Grind and cover. Considering all the possible problems with digging and removal.

Update.. rented a stump grinder, used the tractor and dug down a foot or so lower than the current ground level, then ground it.. got this picture of my son helping rinse the grinder before going back to HD..
I’ll likely NEVER rent from them again..
$1k deposit.. and the have a $1500 deposit for mini-ex..

It did work well..

Attachments

• IMG_7317.jpeg
    IMG_7317.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23