Stump removal .. how deep? Or all?

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Hello!

I’m working on regrading a bank and removing some stumps.

They are all 18-26 inch diameter.
Plans are one of the following.
1. Rent a mini ex and dig the entire stump and use the tractor and chain to pull it out.
2. Rent a mini ex and dig it deep, cut it and pull out whatever I can.
3. Hire/rent a stump grinder and grind it as deep as possible.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

The mini ex would be a 5k or so with an 18 inch bucket.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #2  
That answer could be predicated on how much are you cutting the bank down during the regrade. Stump grinder at most will get you 12-15 inches in most cased depending on size of machine.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all?
That answer could be predicated on how much are you cutting the bank down during the regrade. Stump grinder at most will get you 12-15 inches in most cased depending on size of machine.
I’m actually going to be adding dirt and ramping this..

Attachments

• IMG_7271.jpeg
    IMG_7271.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7272.jpeg
    IMG_7272.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 80
   / Stump removal .. how deep? Or all?
I should have also said that there is 1 concern… the water line to the well crosses right before the stump near the tires…

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #7  
Old adage: If you have a stump you have a problem; if you excavate the stump you have 2 problems; you have a (big) hole, and you still have the (big, 18-20") stump. There is also the possibility that while excavating the stump near the water line, you disturb the water line.

Grinding a stump typically leaves some of the stump that will gradually rot and subside. As your intention is to slope the grade, such subsidence would likely be minor, tolerable, or easily corrected. (As opposed to building a structure like a retaining wall on ground that is expected to subside.) My suggestion would be #3, grind.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #8  
Hard to tell how much dirt you're adding, but can you just cut the stump off and fill over top? I would think 6" of dirt would be adequate.

I did this maybe six or so years ago.

The woods had slowly encroached into the yard over the years. Lots of 3”-4” size trees. I cut them and their stumps as close to the ground as possible, then dumped dirt over the whole area.

Worked great. Nothing grew out of the stumps. I mow over that area now, so if something does grow, it’ll get cut up right away.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #9  
Are the stumps still green or have they been cut long ago and dead? If still green I would take a chainsaw and cut a thin layer off the top and immeadiately take straight glyophosphate/roundup and put it all the way around the cambium layer/bark which will ensure that the stump won't sprout, then cover with fill dirt. If already dead, just cover with fill dirt. Good luck.

/ Stump removal .. how deep? Or all? #10  
Out on my land, I dig out the stumps and get rid of them. It takes years to rot away, and I don't want them in my way when bush hogging.

Near my house, I cut them kind of long so the truck is sticking up a couple of feet. Then I drill a hole in the middle of it and place a Wind Spinner.

IMG_2967.JPG