Stuck backhoe pin

/ Stuck backhoe pin #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Replacing bucket, every pin came out easy except the main pivot pin on the bucket. I tried hammering the **** out of it, putting a pipe wrench on it and then push it with the hydraulics but it won't move. I put a pulley puller on it and turned it in, put heat on it, nothing. I'm running out of ideas.

agRluzO.jpg

RRz5646.jpg

p25ZNij.jpg

/ Stuck backhoe pin #2  
I would say that there is enough wear to create a ridge on the pin and cause it to get stuck.

You might have to find the sweet spot to take it out. Like trying to center the pin holes on the bucket to the pin holes on the arm.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #3  
I had one like that when I got my hoe and could not take off the bucket. Tried heat and stuff and looking at the price of a new pin from Kubota, decided to saws-all it through. Actually easier than I thought with a cordless Dewalt that had been given to me. Quite impressed! Anyway, then getting out the three pieces was easy without damaging the hoe.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #4  
Oxi Acetylene torch with a rose bud tip. Heat all the way across the underside of the bushing and put a pipe on your pipe wrench handle for more leverage. Spray the ends with WD40 and repeat until it comes loose.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #5  
The problem I found is that enough heat didn't get to the center section of pin. The outsides were not the problem.

I generally found on seized stuff that nothing happens if it ain't red hot! You can heat all day long and it's just a waste of time and fuel.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #6  
The problem is not a Ridge on the pin, if that were the case the pin would rotate. The pin is seized in the center bushing. You are fooling yourself with the boy sized propane bottle, just wasting oxygen. You need a LOT of heat (think rosebud) across the length of the center bushing. Heat it red hot and quench. Rinse & repeat. If the end of the stick is boxed and the bushing is not accessible you will have to cut the pin on either side of the dipperstick with a saw and gouge out the center part of the pin.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #7  
Are you heating the pin? Won't that make it expand?

/ Stuck backhoe pin #8  
You may need to cut the pin out. Find someone with an exothermic lance.

IMG_3639.jpg
IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I’d do it for you if you were closer.

/ Stuck backhoe pin #9  
Like they said more heat with oxi acet just to the left of where you have your propane now. Max heat will expand that bore and beat the pin out before the heat soaks into it.

/ Stuck backhoe pin
So basically more heat and more pressure. Shame, I’ll have to buy an oxi acet torch. At least I’ll have an excuse when the wife complains.