Stihl or Echo top handle saw?

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #21  
I have an Echo 355T that I got pinched in a limb. I gave it a good yank (mistake!!) to free it from the limb, and ended up ripping the handle clean off of the saw. Turns out, there is only a little molded plastic tab that connects the handle to the main body/ case. The repair involved replacing the entire case, and a few hours of my labor. Needless to say, the design was less robust than I expected. Since replacing the case, I now have and endless oil leak/ drip from that saw, requiring me to have to store it on its side.

I am planning to replace it with a Stihl 201T soon.

Good luck with your decision.
You are seeing the difference between a consumer and pro grade saw. Pro grade saws are far more sturdy and the brands we are discussing all offer pro saws. The problem with looking for a used pro saw is that loggers and arborists use them hard and don’t part with them until they are worn out. The best find is a homeowner with a lightly used pro saw, but those are very hard to find. Most homeowners don’t spend the money to buy pro saws.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw?
You are seeing the difference between a consumer and pro grade saw. Pro grade saws are far more sturdy and the brands we are discussing all offer pro saws. The problem with looking for a used pro saw is that loggers and arborists use them hard and don’t part with them until they are worn out. The best find is a homeowner with a lightly used pro saw, but those are very hard to find. Most homeowners don’t spend the money to buy pro saws.

Some do. Some homeowners buy diesel trucks, diesel zero turns, backhoes, farm tractors….you name it.
But they are much harder to find.

I could also make an argument that a real clueless homeowner could ruin a pro saw in one day. Seen it happen.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #23  
Pretty hard to yank any saw out of a pinch without damaging it. Why I always have 2 saws with me just in case.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #24  
Curious what is your definition between a 'pro' saw and a run of the mill saw? Inquiring minds want to know.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #25  
Some do. Some homeowners buy diesel trucks, diesel zero turns, backhoes, farm tractors….you name it.
But they are much harder to find.

I could also make an argument that a real clueless homeowner could ruin a pro saw in one day. Seen it happen.
No oil in the mix and run until it stops…

Seen it twice and both times returned item to Home Depot.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #26  
Curious what is your definition between a 'pro' saw and a run of the mill saw? Inquiring minds want to know.
The ones I see are less plastic and more metal.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #27  
Im a big fan of Stihl saws but the Echo 2511T is an awesome little saw. With a couple mods it rips and its super light, I grab this more than my bigger 261 now.

saw.jpg

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #28  
They all have die cast crankcases, steel cranks, alloy jugs and alloy pistons last time I checked and the little ones will have clamshell crankcases. I prefer a lighter saw over a heavy one anyway. I own some heavy saws that sit on the shelf, devoid of gas and oil and nothing I'd want to use anyway. I own a Stihl 090 with a 5 foot 2 man bar and an 075 with a 4 foot bar. Heck I cannot even start them (compression release or not) at my age. The 090 was the largest displacement saw that Stihl ever made and the 075 is next. Both of them are stupid heavy as well. Both are running 404 chipper chain.

I think about selling them but I bought them both new way back when and both have sentimental value for me so they sit on the shelf and will until I'm no longer here and then my wife can sell them.

One thing I never do is take a saw apart if I don't have to. Some people love to modify them. I don't, other than letting them breath better, that is about it.

Gonna have to take my 028 apart soon as I suspect the crank seals are starting to leak. It is, after all over 50 years old and still on the original seals and carb. I have replaced the fuel and impulse lines recently. Started out on non corn squeezed gas and then to canned gas. I never run corn gas in anything 2 stroke, never have.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #29  
Im a big fan of Stihl saws but the Echo 2511T is an awesome little saw. With a couple mods it rips and its super light, I grab this more than my bigger 261 now.

View attachment 862429
That has the I30 starter system just like mine does. I actually prefer the Echo bars myself over the Stihl or Oregon. The Echo bars are much more blocky and they all have greaseable roller noses too.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #30  
That has the I30 starter system just like mine does. I actually prefer the Echo bars myself over the Stihl or Oregon. The Echo bars are much more blocky and they all have greaseable roller noses too.

The 3/8” bar and chain that came on this saw was way too much for it. This is a very common mod that lets this thing rip. It’s a 1/4” picco bar and chain setup. Night and day difference in performance.