STIHL Kombi contemplation?

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We are considering a STIHL Kombi system for our next trail clearing system. We use these to operate pole saws and for this unit, we would start with a string head for running .170 or .180 string. On the current systems we run .155 strings and other attachments. We've had reasonably good luck with Echo's over the past 15 years but would like more power for running larger strings and the attachment system Echo uses, has been somewhat problematic.

The Stihl power head would likely be the KM 131 R version..

STIHL KombiSystem | Professional Use Multi-Task Tools | STIHL USA

STIHL makes a KombiSystem string head for .155 string which I can not find locate on there site, but we looked at one at our store. It appears would hold string larger than .155 but if not, we'd then go with an aftermarket version that would.

In looking at them in the store, we liked the simple screw caps this power-head fuel tank has. It appears to have more HP which is needed for running these large strings. The driveshaft system "appears" to be more robust as does the attachment system for various tools.

Little background. We are professional type users of power tools and have used steel cutting heads but very much, like to stay away from them. Your thoughts of this Stilh system purchase?? Thanks!

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation? #2  
I have used a combi head with edger, trimmer, pole saw, weed eater, and rototiller for about 7 years now. It gets used a lot. The little bubble primer button cracked this spring, but it still starts easily. The only real complaint I have is that it is heavy and after slinging it around for an hour, it starts to wear me out. I can attest to its durability but with durability and power you get weight. Just make sure you get a good match to your work requirement. To clear a trail where you aren't concerned with cutting fence posts or shrubs/flowers, I will suggest a blade instead of line.

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation?
We have much experience with both steel blades and with heavy string. Today string is what we do 90% of our clearing with. (I'm not including pole saw use)

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation? #4  
I have the big Kombi (131, IIRC). It's very good, but, as others have said, it's heavy for smaller jobs. It's a BEAST on the string trimmer. Ridiculous amount of power to do what you could do with 1/2 (or less) the HP and torque. Makes quick work though, if the string can take it. I have a string trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and a blade trimmer for mine. The last one is the most used for clearing. I bought a string trimmer head and put a blade on it. This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZZSQQO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, let me say, this isn't an approved combo. Everything fits perfectly, but, you do this at your own risk.

This is by far the most terrifying tool I have. The Kombi has so much power, and that blade moves so fast. And there's no stopping it, I wear Kevlar, but I'm not convinced it would stop that like it would a chainsaw blade. The whole setup just gives me nightmares. But OMG, what a clearing tool. Any tree up to 3" or so, it cuts through like it's not there. Just swing it into the tree and its through before you can blink. I often cut the tree 5-6 times in a row to wind up with smaller pieces, I can do it before you can make the first cut with a hot saw. It's just so fast and so good that I brave the danger. It's the kind of setup that makes OSHA cry when they realize you can fit a circular saw blade on a string trimmer. And that people actually do it!

Stihl also has a forestry cutter, which is basically the thing that I built, but has a handlebar mount instead of string trimmer. I'd MUCH prefer that, but, the price is outrageous and I don't use my "blade of death" that often. But if "brush" in your world has 1-3" trees in it, well.. This is fastest (note, I did not say BEST, just fastest) way to get it gone outside of a mulching head on a 100HP skid steer. I'm very, very happy with the combo, it works wonderful for me, and the Kombi motor is great. The only person I wouldn't recommend the Kombi setup to is a professional because they are probably "hour limited", IE, they will use it enough to wear out the engine, so you might as well just get more tools and spread the usage out. For a homeowner? I think it's better because you run it more often, you'll never put enough hours on it to wear it out, but you sure can break it by letting it sit too long if you had 5 tools/engines instead of 1!

We now own the Kombi 131 and used it as a pole saw and its been great so far. Stihl is suppose to come out with a .190 string head which we'll get, as soon as they are put on the store shelves. Covid seems to have crimped its production. Nonetheless, the 131 rocks in the HP department to fa and big string does require lots of HP to spin.

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation? #6  
Arly, what fixed line trimmer heads do you prefer on your Kombi 131?

I've read your trails thread and see that you precut line for your trail work - do you have to thread/snake the line thru the head or just push straight into a clip in the head?

I've looked at the Echo, Shindaiwa and Stihl fixed line heads in the packaging but have not inspected these heads. I need to clear neglected fence lines with a Stihl 130.

In cam lock heads, you just push it into a hole. The Stihl head is a 4 string where as the Echo, Shindaiwa and Oregon heads are three and I mention this because when spinning these, HP is a necessity.

I like the the Stihl heads better because the Kombi 131 has the power to spin 4 strings. Plus the head is easier to get the strings in and out of. Let me add that neither are poor, just slightly different.

Last edited:
   / STIHL Kombi contemplation? #8  
Arly, Thanks for your quick reply - I want a "cam lock" head. I gather the Stihl FixCut 31-2 is a cam lock head - are the Echo and Shindiawa Heavy Duty fixed line heads also camlock heads? Thanks for your insight.

After a little more research (You Tube) I think the head Arly is using is the Stihl Durocut 40-4 trimmer head - up to .155 line in lengths that look like his pre-cut bundles.

Last edited:
I struggle using my phone and reply but I'd guess they are the same thing.

/ STIHL Kombi contemplation? #10  
We have the Kombi 131 with the pole saw, extension, hedge trimmer, string head, blade head, cultivator, and Bed redefiner. All are excellent and get a ton of use. I find that the hedge trimmer also comes in really handy when working on the atv trails where there is a lot of vines higher up or junk hanging down from the edge of the trail.