Snow Plow Build

/ Snow Plow Build
I'v never seen a hydraulically angled plow with one cylinder. Is that normal?

I've seen other tractor plows built this way. The original cylinders (2) from the old plow were rusted out and trashed. I'll see how it works this winter. If I have problems I can always buy and install 2 cylinders since I didn't cut off the mounts on the A frame for them.

/ Snow Plow Build #12  
I would think that the shock load on one cylinder could cause it to fail.... you know, hidden objects in the snow.....

Bn considering building one for my 100 horse Kubota but would use double cylinders.

/ Snow Plow Build
I would think that the shock load on one cylinder could cause it to fail.... you know, hidden objects in the snow.....

Bn considering building one for my 100 horse Kubota but would use double cylinders.

I'm going to check local shops tomorrow for a cushion (pressure) relief valve. If I can't locate one locally I'll order one. It works the same on one or two cylinders to bypass the fluid, if you hit something solid, to the other port on a DA cyl. or other piston on a dual cyl. setup. You'll need one for a 2 cyl. plow setup also.

QuickAttach and HLA make and sell single cylinder SS snow plow attachments.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plow Build #14  
Nice job George!! My back blade only has 1 cylinder for angling and it takes a lot of shock, I think you'll be OK with it if you don't hit anything too hard!! :thumbsup:

/ Snow Plow Build #15  
I tried building mine on a rigid frame like that.

I quickly discovered, it needed the ability to float, and the ability for it to rotate a few degrees side to side, to adjust for changes in the grade.

Otherwise, it has the potential to put lot of strain on the loader frame.

Keep in mind, you can't use the float mode on the loader. It will put the loader arms on the ground.

/ Snow Plow Build
Nice job George!! My back blade only has 1 cylinder for angling and it takes a lot of shock, I think you'll be OK with it if you don't hit anything too hard!! :thumbsup:

I know I'm careful plowing (over 35 years experience) but for under a hundred bucks I'll install the crossover relief.

I tried building mine on a rigid frame like that.

I quickly discovered, it needed the ability to float, and the ability for it to rotate a few degrees side to side, to adjust for changes in the grade.

Otherwise, it has the potential to put lot of strain on the loader frame.

Keep in mind, you can't use the float mode on the loader. It will put the loader arms on the ground.

When I'm done the plow blade will have 2 shoes and the back of the A frame will have 2 shoes so 4 shoes total. I just have to make sure the 4 shoes are in contact with the ground. As long as the A frame is level the plow can angle left or right without digging in. I'll probably not use float mode and keep the blade an inch off the ground to keep the extra weight on the front steer tires.

/ Snow Plow Build #17  
I'm looking at building one as well here eventually. A pair of single acting cylinders will have the same volume & move nicely when a crossover valve pops. A double action cylinder has different volumes at each end. In theory it won't collapse if you removed the internal seals completely, so a crossover valve won't help there.

My potential problem with 2 single acting cylinders will be regen for the L/R action on the loader stick. Would need to plumb in a new valve rather than the cheaper easier diverter or attach to a spare port on the rear.

/ Snow Plow Build #18  
No float, no rotating/articulating blade, and no hinged brake-away blade. I don't mean this as critical, but be careful. Even with those three features if not careful mine adds a lot of stress to my FEL arms and frame. Maybe I like to drive too fast. ;)
I like the bright yellow. Mine is black, and when clearing the drive entrance at the road (it's a hidden drive), it makes me nervous to have the blade out there too far.

/ Snow Plow Build #19  
No float, no rotating/articulating blade, and no hinged brake-away blade. I don't mean this as critical, but be careful. Even with those three features if not careful mine adds a lot of stress to my FEL arms and frame. Maybe I like to drive too fast. ;)
I like the bright yellow. Mine is black, and when clearing the drive entrance at the road (it's a hidden drive), it makes me nervous to have the blade out there too far.

The cutting edge trips on this style blade rather than the whole blade.

/ Snow Plow Build #20  
A crossover valve wont work with a DA cylinder. Differing amounts of fluid.

When trying to collapse the cylinder, it will try to bypass MORE fluid to the rod side than it can hold. Since hydraulic oil wont compress, its as good as not having a crossover valve at all.

When trying to force it to extend, you have to create ALOT of vacuum around the rod seal, will likely suck in contaminates and dirt/water and have limited effect on acting as a cushion.

Not sure what you paid for the DA cylinder, but you can get a PAIR of 1.5x10 SA cylinders for ~$70 delivered. Then you KNOW the crossover protection will work perfectly.