Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #61  
...I think the op will find the rear pull to be exactly what he is looking for, they are great for long lanes and roads. ....

As I have said multiple times, rear pulls are are something that those who don't have them say can't work and those who do (have them) say they are awesome. I have used mine for 9 winters now and I have zero desire to go back to a front blower.

As always, if you have frequent deep drifting or massive storms (multiple ft overnight) they probably aren't for you.

Well stated

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #62  
1. having snow blower with a chute extension eliminates a lot of snow dust
as the snow ejected is blown further up the chute just like silage being
blown into a silo.

2. having a rotating impeller drum to allow the user to discharge the
snowpack left or right allows the user to remove heavy snowpack
without plugging the chute

3. a large enough power pack with a high volume vane pump to power a
the hydraulic gear motor will move massive amounts of snowpack.

As you have an open station mule I hope you can find a snow blower that
offers an extended chute as an option.

The smaller Pronovost Cyclone C724 60" inverted snow blower with its
hydraulic wing extensions allows you to clear a wider path in one pass.
The base model with fixed wing extensions used wings positioned
using turnbuckles.

Perhaps a skid steer hydraulic Hiniker snow blade along with the cyclone
is a better answer

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #63  
1. having snow blower with a chute extension eliminates a lot of snow dust
as the snow ejected is blown further up the chute just like silage being
blown into a silo.

2. having a rotating impeller drum to allow the user to discharge the
snowpack left or right allows the user to remove heavy snowpack
without plugging the chute

3. a large enough power pack with a high volume vane pump to power a
the hydraulic gear motor will move massive amounts of snowpack.

As you have an open station mule I hope you can find a snow blower that
offers an extended chute as an option.

The smaller Pronovost Cyclone C724 60" inverted snow blower with its
hydraulic wing extensions allows you to clear a wider path in one pass.
The base model with fixed wing extensions used wings positioned
using turnbuckles.

Perhaps a skid steer hydraulic Hiniker snow blade along with the cyclone
is a better answer
The chute on the WIFO It is tall.
I caught mine on some pine tree branches. Here is a pic the rear tires on the tractor are 14.9 x 28 R1's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #64  
As i have said multiple times, rear pulls are are something that those who don't have them say can't work and those who do say they are awesome. I have used mine for 9 winters now and I have zero desire to go back to a front blower.

As always, if you have frequent deep drifting or massive storms (multiple ft overnight) they probably aren't for you.
I think that rear pulls are very good. Like I said never see my neighbor having a problem. We get very deep drifts and he blows right thru.

What doesn’t work is how much they cost…. We get only 20 or so feet of snow each year. And on track for the snowiest winter ever here at 40 feet. And I still cannot justify double the cost….

If money isn’t a limited factor, the only downside is dropping the blower down close to something and pulling forward. I blow in a couple areas so the my livestock are not able to walk over top of the fences when the snow piles up. Backing up to get those areas is more convenient for me.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
I think that rear pulls are very good. Like I said never see my neighbor having a problem. We get very deep drifts and he blows right thru.

What doesn’t work is how much they cost…. We get only 20 or so feet of snow each year. And on track for the snowiest winter ever here at 40 feet. And I still cannot justify double the cost….

If money isn’t a limited factor, the only downside is dropping the blower down close to something and pulling forward. I blow in a couple areas so the my livestock are not able to walk over top of the fences when the snow piles up. Backing up to get those areas is more convenient for me.

Holy cow! That's a lot of snow.

Not sure what brand of inverted blowers you've been looking at, maybe Provonost or Erskine? I believe those are quite expensive. Just for comparison purposes, I didn't find the cost of an inverted WIFO to be that much more than it's comparable counterpart.

From my dealer an 84" WIFO Rear-Facing w/Hydraulic Chute was $5150.
The 84" WIFO Pull-Type ("Inverted") w/Hydraulic Chute was $6350, so $1200 more.

Also to update the thread, I have to admit that my avatar picture is outdated. Pictured is my old Mahindra 4540 with R1 ag's. I've since replaced that tractor with my 5155 with has R4 industrials. However, personally haven't noticed any difference in snow compared to the R1's. My Galaxy R4's have somewhat of a hybrid pattern, and I really like them compared to other tractors I've used with the traditional huge-lug R4 pattern. Those things suck IMO.

I do have studded aquiline chains mounted on the rear and an additional set for the front if I find I need them.

I actually haven't taken any snow photos of it, I should. I'll post some once I get the new blower and pusher attached, I'm picking them up later this week and by the looks of the forecast I'll be testing them out this coming weekend. But, here's an older pic to give you an idea of the tread pattern.

Attachments

• 20220709_114620.jpg
    20220709_114620.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #67  

Not sure what brand of inverted blowers you've been looking at, maybe Provonost or Erskine? I believe those are quite expensive. Just for comparison purposes, I didn't find the cost of an inverted WIFO to be that much more than it's comparable counterpart.

Also to update the thread, I have to admit that my avatar picture is outdated. Pictured is my old Mahindra 4540 with R1 ag's. I've since replaced that tractor with my 5155 with has R4 industrials. However, personally haven't noticed any difference in snow compared to the R1's. My Galaxy R4's have somewhat of a hybrid pattern, and I really like them compared to other tractors I've used with the traditional huge-lug R4 pattern. Those things suck IMO.

I do have studded aquiline chains mounted on the rear and an additional set for the front if I find I need them.

I actually haven't taken any snow photos of it, I should. I'll post some once I get the new blower and pusher attached, I'm picking them up later this week and by the looks of the forecast I'll be testing them out this coming weekend. But, here's an older pic to give you an idea of the tread pattern.
Erskine and MK Martin is what is mostly used around here. And around here everything is way more..
This is at the closest dealer from my place. 3 hours away. Not a pull type either.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #68  
Erskine and MK Martin is what is mostly used around here. And around here everything is way more..
This is at the closest dealer from my place. 3 hours away. Not a pull type either.

The price on the WIFO Inverted is more than competitive with some other brands from what I could find.

The specs and weight is what sold me.

But after it arrived, was even more impressed with the actual build quality.

Could be mistaken- but am not aware of another Inverted in this size class that is comparable for the delivered price in the US.

These are imported to USA, but WIFO has been designing and building tractor implements in Canada since 1967

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #69  

Hi Walt, With chains the hybrid R4's should provide Lots of traction.
If the distance from the PTO to blower input on your Mahindra is similar to my tractor you will have to shorten the PTO shaft.

It was a bit of a shame on mine since I had to cut enough off[part of the shaft, that took the 3 nicely installed zerks with it.
The shaft also comes with a tubing stiffener which will need to be slid on the tubing as well but is no big job.

One other thing I ran into was the Cat 2 spacing on my Rhino.
It pushed the 3 point arms really close to rubbing the tires inside.
For this year I ran it like that for the first snow and then switched to the Cat 1 mount width and used bushings and some washers to space it outwards.
This summer i will do a couple mods for next year along with a hose stand off or the rotator and deflector.

Here is Hoping you are as Happy with the WIFO Inverted blower as I have been.

Last edited: