Smoothing a bumpy yard?

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #31  
This is pretty slick.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #32  
I had 15 yards of top soil spread through the lowest part of a half acre, nailed two 8’ 2x6s to a 6’ 6x6 to form a triangle. Bored a 3x8 hole through the corner where the 2x6s met and hooked it to the back of my poulan lawn tractor. Started doing circles and figure 8s until it looked right planted a fescue rye clover mix. It’s not a putting green, but the dogs don’t mind.
70451194600__4230E624-31CE-4E84-9B1F-BEFDC9E4729B.jpeg
70451194600__4230E624-31CE-4E84-9B1F-BEFDC9E4729B.jpeg

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #33  
I could disk up and level my yard with my LPGS. It would be a loosing situation until I get rid of the pocket gophers. I'm working on the pocket gopher situation right now.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #34  
I have found my roller which is a home built 30" diameter by 7' water filled (about 300# per ft) does a nice job of smashing things flat in the wet spring but that by the middle of August the soil has revived itself into its rougher preferred state. I think all I am doing is flattening it temporarily and then the grass roots and and other entities within the soil are working against me.

Personally I would mow it short, let it come back alive and spray it with an effective weedkiller to take out the root spreading weeds, and then use the box blade a couple of different directions with enough bite to take off the high points and spread them out. (May need to play with the angle, weight, and tine depth settings so that you have an effect without over digging.) Let this set for a week to get the ripped up plant matter dried out. Then broadcast seed and use a chain harrow or similar to lightly work the seed under and smooth it. ( A chain harrow with the teeth angled back will not plug if there is not too much loose vegetation.) This would not upset the soil structure and have any residual effect of tire compaction. It would also leave a lot of plant matter and soil and plant structure to act as protection from wind, washing, etc.. Then how you mow it will help control what type of grasses you keep long term, i.e. orchard, brome, and other taller, coarser grasses do not like getting cut on a regular basis and will give into the finer grasses that are more lawn type. Mow less often and the coarser grasses will overgrow and shade out the finer grasses.

This would work better in the fall when the grasses are not growing so rapidly which essentially gives you more working time plus you want to target a time for the seed to germinate and root so it will root all winter and then start the mowing in the spring as desired.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #35  
All these excellent suggestions OR do as I do. Learn to live with it. Mine is really not that terrible. And, after all, it IS a country pasture NOT a pool table. Around the house and out buildings it is smooth. As I move out into the mowed pastures - I encounter pocket gophers. This year - I deal with the pocket gophers.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT