Smoothing a bumpy yard?

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I live on an acreage, and need to smooth out a real bumpy yard (about 2 acres total), in preparation of upgrading to a zero turn mower. Tools I have: compact tractor w/loader, box blade, landscape rake, chain link fence drag, hand tools, large pile of dirt (to fill in the low spots).

My question is, which/what is the best approach? I don't want to tear it all up and have to start over...

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #2  
Have your soil tested.

If your dirt pile is top soil amend per soil test, then use it to fill low spots.

Level with Landscape Rake oriented backwards so tines will not tear or level with fence drag.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #3  
I much prefer box blade. If sod doesn't fill in by late summer I'd broadcast annual rye to control erosion over the wet season. By erosion I mean dirt washing out of holes I had just filled.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #4  
My box blade does great job on mole hills and runs, just too lazy to re-seed bare spots
20200401_152545.jpg

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #5  
I'm a big fan of the BOX BLADE, ... I would start with that. you may need to go over it 5-6x, but it impresses me :)

the finesse work can happen later

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #7  
My box blade does great job on mole hills and runs, just too lazy to re-seed bare spots
View attachment 706267
That's a nice blade. Granddad had one similar that was mule drawn to maintain public roads in the early 20th century. Looking back,it worked better than my 3 point blade.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #8  
Can you pull that up hill? its as big as the tractor!
6 footer box can collect enough material to make a 2wd, 50hp ford with loaded tire & chains spin it's wheels. Live on a hill, biggest problem can't lift it off the ground like 3pt blade. Meeting a neighbor on hill can be a problem (at least they don't own any trailers). Prime, FedEx, ect can be challenging since it doesn't back up very well.

/ Smoothing a bumpy yard? #10  
Have you tried a roller? You said you don't want to tear it up. Using box blades and filling in the low spots with soil kinda sounds to me like "tearing it up."

If it's just a "bumpy" yard, have you tried a roller?