Short Term Tractor Purchase

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #11  
Here are more specifics about my needs:

It is a half acre residential lot in town. 1) There are quite a number of overgrown scrubby bushes that I don't want to hand dig out. 2) I need to plant 45 arborvitae trees along one of the property lines, and would like a post hole digger to help dig those holes. 3) there is a large, 1000 square feet area of the yard that is gravel, I want to remove the gravel and plant grass. 4) there are three areas that are currently dirt/gravel, maybe a combined 1,000 ft², where I want to pour concrete, so I need the tractor to remove the existing dirt and gravel, and move in clean gravel to compact for under the concrete. What's the bushes are removed, the trees are planted, the grass is planted, and the concrete is poured, I don't anticipate needing a loader tractor after that.
Not sure I would buy a tractor for this small lot unless you have other larger land you are living on.

Get an estimate on hiring out all your tractor needs vs renting.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase
Good question about the skid steer. I thought about that, but I ruled it out for a couple of reasons. First, it would do more damage to my lawn, and second, I have a very busy job so I only have an hour or two here and there to work on the yard, so the work will be spread over several weeks or even months. It would only be practical to rent a skid steer if I could hit it hard for three or four days or a week and get it all done, but that is not an option for me. I'd rather have a piece of equipment sitting around that I could do a little bit here and there as time allows.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #14  
Hire it done or rent a machine.

1/2 acre--very hard to have enough space to work in, yet for sod and scrub removal and moving gravel a skid loader or maybe even a ride on skid machine would get it done depending on your operator skills.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #15  
I would find the least expensive used tractor that will do the job and complete the work as fast as possible, then sell it, or contract the work out. in this environment i would not hang on to an expensive tractor for the short term, and i would defiantly not let one sit around.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #16  
Here are more specifics about my needs:

It is a half acre residential lot in town. 1) There are quite a number of overgrown scrubby bushes that I don't want to hand dig out. 2) I need to plant 45 arborvitae trees along one of the property lines, and would like a post hole digger to help dig those holes.

Buy a Bucket Spade for your FEL, rather than a Post Hole Digger.

LINK TO T-B-N ARCHIVE: Bucket Spade: tractorbynet.com site:www.tractorbynet.com

Deere has it's manufacturing heart in Waterloo, Iowa. I would favor Deere in Iowa for resale.

Last edited:
   / Short Term Tractor Purchase #17  
Good question about the skid steer. I thought about that, but I ruled it out for a couple of reasons. First, it would do more damage to my lawn, and second, I have a very busy job so I only have an hour or two here and there to work on the yard, so the work will be spread over several weeks or even months. It would only be practical to rent a skid steer if I could hit it hard for three or four days or a week and get it all done, but that is not an option for me. I'd rather have a piece of equipment sitting around that I could do a little bit here and there as time allows.
We found the same thing. Rentals bits when you like to work on the job here and there. Buying the tool has its benefits.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #18  
But which tool to buy? 1/2 acre isn't that big, especially if there is a house and other improvements like driveways, fences, and sitting areas you have to work around. This sort of sounds like a job for a mini skid steer which are very expensive to buy unless he imports one from aliaba.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #19  
But which tool to buy? 1/2 acre isn't that big, especially if there is a house and other improvements like driveways, fences, and sitting areas you have to work around. This sort of sounds like a job for a mini skid steer which are very expensive to buy unless he imports one from aliaba.
He already said he doesn't want the grass torn up from a skid-steer.