Short Term Tractor Purchase

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #1  

Iowa Boy

Tractor
John Deere LT180
I have kind of a weird situation. I need a compact loader tractor to do a bunch of work on a neglected property that I purchased, but once that work is done I won't really need the loader anymore. Therefore, I am thinking about buying a used tractor this spring, using it all summer, and then either selling it in the fall or next spring. I am looking at used, since I don't want to take the depreciation on a new tractor for such a short term need. It needs to be a model that has decent resale potential, so I am kind of leaning away from the off-brands, even though I know people love some of them. I am looking at a Deere 1025R, Kubota BX2680, or similar. I deck would be nice but not necessary since I have a Deere GX345 for mowing. Any suggestions as to what models or manufacturers I should include in my search? Thanks, Joe

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #4  
If you forsee owing property for any length of time, owning a good tractor is a definite benefit because it will enable you to do things that you can't do without it. And tractors aren't getting any less expensive to buy. If you find a good one that fits your needs, you might be better off keeping it.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #5  
Those models are sub-compact and very limited.I would advise a true compact;I.E. Kubota L,LX or B series or similar.Do not buy with-out a loader.
Under 25HP don't have the pollution controls(new),older higher HP before 2014 shouldn't have it either.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #6  
yup, & a larger model might sell better too.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #7  
I have kind of a weird situation. I need a compact loader tractor to do a bunch of work on a neglected property that I purchased, but once that work is done I won't really need the loader anymore. Therefore, I am thinking about buying a used tractor this spring, using it all summer, and then either selling it in the fall or next spring. I am looking at used, since I don't want to take the depreciation on a new tractor for such a short term need. It needs to be a model that has decent resale potential, so I am kind of leaning away from the off-brands, even though I know people love some of them. I am looking at a Deere 1025R, Kubota BX2680, or similar. I deck would be nice but not necessary since I have a Deere GX345 for mowing. Any suggestions as to what models or manufacturers I should include in my search? Thanks, Joe

Check the used vs new prices. There maybe more of a gap now but in the past few years that gap wasn't far off unless you were buying a 30 yo tractor with lots of hrs on it.

How much property did you buy? What is the most you want to spend on a tractor? I would plan on keeping the tractor as long as you own property so buy accordingly.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #8  
I don't think you're wrong and trying to stick with the Kubota or JD. However, you can get other off brands significantly cheaper because they do not hold their resale value quite as well.

But you can still get them sold because there are other people out there that want a tractor but they don't want to spend JD or Kubota prices.

My point being, find a good deal on a decent tractor regardless of make and model and you will be able to sell it later, trust me.

Try to stay under a thousand hours and make sure it's not been sitting outside and neglected. Appearance does affect resale quite a lot.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase
Here are more specifics about my needs:

It is a half acre residential lot in town. 1) There are quite a number of overgrown scrubby bushes that I don't want to hand dig out. 2) I need to plant 45 arborvitae trees along one of the property lines, and would like a post hole digger to help dig those holes. 3) there is a large, 1000 square feet area of the yard that is gravel, I want to remove the gravel and plant grass. 4) there are three areas that are currently dirt/gravel, maybe a combined 1,000 ft², where I want to pour concrete, so I need the tractor to remove the existing dirt and gravel, and move in clean gravel to compact for under the concrete. What's the bushes are removed, the trees are planted, the grass is planted, and the concrete is poured, I don't anticipate needing a loader tractor after that.