Sheild gas thoughts?

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #51  
I realize your machine will be different but here's how I secured one of my migs. It may give you some inspiration. It's a "tilt and slide" design. The first photo shows the self seating "tab".

I haven't had a welder yet that I couldn't secure without VISIBLE constraints. :)

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

Terry

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #52  
That's kind what I'm grappling with. I'm pretty sure I can lock the back down but don't really want to drill holes in my new machine. Maybe I could use the screw on the left side of the case and something underneath the door to Velcro it into place in the front.
I have the HF bigger brother welding cart which I love. I needed a place for my new plasma cutter so I built a removable 'cage' over my welder to trap it and also support my plasma cutter on top that is snug fit. Also added a couple more hooks for leads and power cords. I had to position my welder nearer to the non opening side so the door would clear the flange on the cart. My design also allows the door to swing to the full open position by offsetting the plasma to the non opening side. Offsetting the plasma cutter also kept it from blocking the access and view of my tank and gauges. I really wanted to stack because my shop space is a premium. Still need to paint it once it warms up outside or I get some serious heat inside the shop!

IMG_8902.jpg IMG_8903.jpg IMG_8904.jpg

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #53  
Wanted to pass along some info to any Everlast mig users. I had issues with splatter running Hobart and Forney welding wire but I was at Menards walking by the welding aisle and thought about this thread. I found some "US Forge" .035 wire and decided to give it a try.
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...4439534039-c-10163.htm?tid=425919354676710574

Turn out my Everlast likes this wire better than the stuff I used in the past as far as splatter.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #54  
Wanted to pass along some info to any Everlast mig users. I had issues with splatter running Hobart and Forney welding wire but I was at Menards walking by the welding aisle and thought about this thread. I found some "US Forge" .035 wire and decided to give it a try.
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...4439534039-c-10163.htm?tid=425919354676710574

Turn out my Everlast likes this wire better than the stuff I used in the past as far as splatter.
Way to take the gamble and sounds like it paid off!

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #55  
Way to take the gamble and sounds like it paid off!

Interestingly enough the wire is even cheaper ($.26.99)than the wire I buy at the ranch supply center (Forney is like $29 and Hobart $34) and Menards gives quantity discounts on 3 rolls down to $21.99.

This was using C-25 gas.

/ Sheild gas thoughts?
Thanks for the pictures and ideas. That's an amazing price for wire, it's $35 on Amazon. There's no Menards in this area.

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #57  
Thanks for the pictures and ideas. That's an amazing price for wire, it's $35 on Amazon. There's no Menards in this area.

"Save big money at Menards" LOL. Just like the commercial. 21.99 is a pretty good price for wire IMO.

/ Sheild gas thoughts?
I liked how someone else modified their HF cart because the welder did not fit. They made a platform that was high enough to add a drawer out of wood. I did something similar which allowed me to screw some metal pieces for ease of locking the welder down. There's an angle iron type piece in the back that the rear of the welder fits under then I slide it to the right so the door side fits under another (door still latches fine). Lastly I have a piece on the left side that slides into the face cover, this piece is locked down by a bolt that has a large nut welded to it for easy removal. That is hard to make out because of the shiny black paint. I really like having the drawer to put parts in. I can fit a couple 2 pound spools of wire in the back.

cart back.jpg

Cart left side.jpg

Cart right side.jpg

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #59  
Good info, what exactly is 3 gas? Argon, C02 and something else? A quick search shows the 3rd as helium. Is that an even mix?

I see HF sells a small tank for $100 plus I could probably use a coupon on it. Some people mentioned having issues with getting those ones filled though. When it's time I'll talk to the local welding shop to see what the scoop is.
About 2% oxygen

/ Sheild gas thoughts? #60  
I would have bet money I have a 3 gas mix. But after reading this article it may be 2 gas. I'll have to check tomorrow. Get the bottle from your local supplier. They will be a good resource with buy vs rent, size etc.

MIG Welding FAQs
Tri gas is fantastic for steel but more expensive. My preference.
Tri mix formulations depend upon your supplier.

Locally, I deal with Air Liquide. ALMIGTM is a tri-mix gas containing 91%Argon-5%CO2 and 4%Oxygen. Because of its high argon content it tends to penetrate less making it an excellent choice when welding thin gauge material such as auto bodies. Which would be ideal for what you intend to weld. IMHO of course. :)

Terry