Loader Rock Removal

/ Rock Removal #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
I am trying to move this large rock to use in landscaping around my house. I have a JD 3720 and I put my pallet forks on to try and pick it up. I got them under the rock easily but my loader could not pick it up. I had my ballast box on the back loaded with concrete, my tires have weights on them and are loaded inside. Could not budge it....

My question is, if I can chain it, could my 3 point hitch pick it up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
   / Rock Removal #2  
That depends on the size of the rock!! This rock AKA my tombstone stood a large backhoe FEL on it's nose.

Attachments

• MVC-343F.JPG
    MVC-343F.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 242
  • MVC-342F.JPG
    MVC-342F.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 281
   / Rock Removal #3  
You hitch will probably lift 50%+ more than the loader, but the rock may still be too large.

628x471.jpg

Bruce

/ Rock Removal #4  
You hitch will probably lift 50%+ more than the loader, but the rock may still be too large.

View attachment 374446

Bruce
Depends on which machine and loader I suppose. My 553 loader will lift 4000 and the 3PH is rated at 3198 lbs. I often find I can use the tractors loader and weight/ traction to pry a good sized rock up out of it's hole but then can't lift it clear of the ground. I end up getting the bucket under it and sliding them over to the edge of the field and into the woods. Sometimes right to the property line.

/ Rock Removal
I am trying to move this large rock to use in landscaping around my house. I have a JD 3720 and I put my pallet forks on to try and pick it up. I got them under the rock easily but my loader could not pick it up. I had my ballast box on the back loaded with concrete, my tires have weights on them and are loaded inside. Could not budge it.... My question is, if I can chain it, could my 3 point hitch pick it up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Forgot to attach the photo

Attachments

• image-961971134.jpg
    image-961971134.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 398
   / Rock Removal #6  
Depends on which machine and loader I suppose. My 553 loader will lift 4000 and the 3PH is rated at 3198 lbs.

I'm curious what you could pick up & move weighing 4000#s that is attached at the pins on loader boom with a tractor weighing just over 5000#s? Move that load 2+ ft out in front of the pins and watch your tractors rear wheels clear the ground attempting to raise 2 TONS with the FEL.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 189
   / Rock Removal #7  
I'm curious what you could pick up & move weighing 4000#s that is attached at the pins on loader boom with a tractor weighing just over 5000#s? Move that load 2+ ft out in front of the pins and watch your tractors rear wheels clear the ground attempting to raise 2 TONS with the FEL.

I agree. We have the same tractor/loader, and while it is a stout loader it will not pick up anywhere near 4000lbs. I regular unload bundles of 5-6" treated fence posts that weigh about 2500-2700lbs and that is the limit for the 553 loader. With that much weight it won't lift more than half height and it has very little curl power. Not to mention, even with wheel weights, fluid in the tires and a 1000lb+ implement on the back it is hard to keep the rear end on the ground.

Now, maybe he is talking about just the breakout force, ie lifting the edge of a 4000lb rock a few inches off the ground. No way the 553 loader can actually 'lift' that much.