Loader Rock Removal

/ Rock Removal #11  
back hoe or excavator.
I am trying to move this large rock to use in landscaping around my house. I have a JD 3720 and I put my pallet forks on to try and pick it up. I got them under the rock easily but my loader could not pick it up. I had my ballast box on the back loaded with concrete, my tires have weights on them and are loaded inside. Could not budge it....

My question is, if I can chain it, could my 3 point hitch pick it up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

/ Rock Removal #12  
You ain't getting my John Deere hat even if you win a bet, and no I'm not going to dig that rock up off the pile it rests on and truck it to a scale to settle it.

/ Rock Removal #13  
   / Rock Removal #14  
When my tractor can't lift something with the bucket, I drag it using a car hood. I went to the junk yard and got a car hood. I put the smooth side on the ground and roll whatever I have to move onto it and then drag it where I need it. If my tractor can roll it on top of the hood, it can drag it.

/ Rock Removal #15  
This might be an out-there idea, but is it possible that you could break the rock in half? Judging from the picture, it appears to be limestone (could be mistaken). This rock could be relatively soft and therefore breakable. I remember as a child camping next to Lake Superior that some people would find granite stones lying around, heat them up in a bonfire and then, using a plank of wood, throwing the rock into the water where the sudden temperature change would shatter the stone. Like I said, this is only one idea

SI2305

/ Rock Removal #16  
You might could chain it up and lift it with your 3pt (a boom helps) but don't be surprised if it lifts the front end of your tractor off the ground.

/ Rock Removal #17  
[h=1]Caterpillar CAT 992K plays with a Big Stone[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oYmxrnzzNs

Now THAT rock must weigh somewhere near 4,000 lbs. He must have done some damage dropping the back end like he did.

This past week I barely picked up a 15-foot, 8-inch diameter Dogwood tree and root ball from its temporary hole in the ground and transplanted it to a new spot. I was glad I had my 425 lb. chipper hanging off the back of my 2720 and I had to dig a gradual ramp and play with the tree for a bit before I finally wrestled it from the ground. This is why anyone considering a first-time tractor purchase should definitely consider the kind of work they plan to do with it before they choose a size. It's always better to have too much power behind the controls and a little extra weight built in than to be short on either one.

/ Rock Removal #18  
Now THAT rock must weigh somewhere near 4,000 lbs. He must have done some damage dropping the back end like he did.

This past week I barely picked up a 15-foot, 8-inch diameter Dogwood tree and root ball from its temporary hole in the ground and transplanted it to a new spot. I was glad I had my 425 lb. chipper hanging off the back of my 2720 and I had to dig a gradual ramp and play with the tree for a bit before I finally wrestled it from the ground. This is why anyone considering a first-time tractor purchase should definitely consider the kind of work they plan to do with it before they choose a size. It's always better to have too much power behind the controls and a little extra weight built in than to be short on either one.

I've been told rock weighs more than one thinks by looking at it.
What would you estimate the dimensions of the boulder in the video to be?
Take those dimensions to the site below.

Check out this site:

Boulder Sizing and Weight Estimation

Now, check out this site (Loader specs):

Cat | 992K Wheel Loader | Caterpillar

How much do you think the boulder in the video weighs now?

Last edited:
   / Rock Removal #19  
Try picking up just half the stone, move it a little ..

If you can, slide a roller under it. There are no rocks smarter than a man....

/ Rock Removal #20  
I've been told rock weighs more than one thinks by looking at it.
What would you estimate the dimensions of the boulder in the video to be?
Take those dimensions to the site below.

Check out this site:

Boulder Sizing and Weight Estimation

How much do you think the boulder in the video weighs now?
Not knowing the exact bucket size on the loader it's just a guess but say 6' X8' X 9'X 62.4 x2.8 = 75,000 or there abouts.