Mowing Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I’ve all but exhausted my interest in the drive-over deck for my BX2570. It’s a major PITA that will not allow removal or installation like the standard deck, and despite how easy it looks to remove and reinstall, I most always have issues. So, I’m wondering how much difference I’d find with a rear-mount mower over the MMM.
I have no concern with the mower dragging behind. It will be easy to remove and reinstall, but will also take up more floor space and would be useless with my bagger.
The only other option is trading out my drive-over for a standard deck, but it seems everyone has the same idea, as used drive-over decks are a dime a dozen.
How bad of cut quality is the rear mower over the MMM?

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #3  
Cut quality also depends on mower design which is affected by your terrain. I'd look for a finishing mower deck with large run flat ties on all four corners so the deck can float on the ground. I find that gives the most uniform cut. So decks are suspended from the tractor side and have only rear wheels - On hilly terrain you get less uniform transitions when the slope changes.

I've had good luck with my landpride 3ph finishing mower and would buy one again. Still working after 30 years...I use it for rough cut in the back forty these days and a ZTR on the lawns.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #4  
I can't imagine you'd gain anything with an MMM over a drive over. They're basically the same thing with a different mounting system. Mine isn't difficult to mount/dismount, but it isn't exactly easy either. My issue with a rear mower is getting around and near things and my hills.

I guess it's all about your mowing area.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #5  
Why are so many people having trouble with their drive over decks? I thought mine is the greatest thing ever. Doesn't get any easier than that. A handle at the front, two spring pins on each side and reach under and grab the PTRO shaft. How can it get any easier?
To hook up, I drive over and it lines itself up.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #6  
Wait, scratch that. I just a read a thread where someone complained it was a real pain to have to use their hydraulic top link to adjust the angle of their implement.

So I can see how getting out of your seat and bending over can be a real task. LOL

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM
Why are so many people having trouble with their drive over decks? I thought mine is the greatest thing ever. Doesn't get any easier than that. A handle at the front, two spring pins on each side and reach under and grab the PTRO shaft. How can it get any easier?

What is your drive-over deck on? I suspect it’s not on a BX because the way you describe your disconnect is nothing like the BX. There is no handle at the front and you don’t need reach under and touch the PTO shaft.
The good old-fashioned way of dragging it in and out from under the tractor on wheeled cup casters is more guaranteed than the drive over. If the DO isn’t sliding on the barn floor or rubber mat, the ramps are digging into the soil and twisting. Taking it off this fall, I actually sheared one of the spring plates under the ramp. It’s just a horse shoot design. The DO on my last B2620 was great.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #9  

I believe that the OP is referring to the so-called auto connect drive-over deck.

My dealer no longer sells them unless the customer insists.

SDT

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM
Wait, scratch that. I just a read a thread where someone complained it was a real pain to have to use their hydraulic top link to adjust the angle of their implement.

So I can see how getting out of your seat and bending over can be a real task. LOL

And, brush up on your reading skills. I never said I didn’t want to get out of the seat. I’d rather the work in putting on the standard deck than the modern convenience of a drive over deck on the BX. Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about regarding the BX.