Radiator hose "snapped"

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #51  
I doubt those tanks are removable to repair from the inside. If you could fabricate a plate with a nipple attached and then with sealant or JB weld, pop rivet it over the hole it may or may not work. Good Luck.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #52  
I've beaten this old tractor up over the years (14 to be exact)...

If that radiator's 14 years old I wouldn't suspect a quality issue.

I'd likely pull it, go to a radiator shop and ask if they know of a similar radiator I could drop in and make work.

As long as the size is large enough and connections come close (might need a different hose or two) it would probably work.

Of course, if you ever plan on selling it the buyer will take one look at it and back away slowly before starting to run.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #53  
Maybe a 3d printer? Like others said though they are throw away, it’s the world today. Hard for me to get use to. I started repairing trucks and tractors in my dad’s shop in 1960. We had fuel pump kits, water pump kits, brushes and diodes plus many other things. I notice the worm clamp which isn’t always a good thing on plastic fittings. Too bad it didn’t happen 2 years ago, probably could have got one for $750.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #54  
Only a fool would try glue without exhausting all other options first!

If you don't want to buy a new radiator, maybe a shop could put you a new end on it. Those plastic ends are just held on by a crimped band, you know.

If you decide to try the glue anyway, I'd drill some very small holes around the edges of both pieces and pass a piece of small stainless steel wire through them. Then, twist the ends together like a bread bag tie. About 4 of those, 90° apart should keep everything lined up and pulled together, but you'll have to be sure they're embedded in the cement and sealed off. Glue inside and out.

I have some fine stainless steel wire that I got from a scrap yard. It was scrap from cable tv company.

Also, you'll need to pour lots of boiling water through and over these parts to get the antifreeze off them, or the glue for certain won't stick. I'd do that and let them dry completely before I did anything else. And use a small wire brush, too.

Years ago, I had a radiator cuff break off, leaving only about 1/2" on the radiator -- of my only vehicle! I cleaned the hose and the remaining part of the cuff as I said above with hot water and a small wire brush. When it was dry, I glued it with some water and vibration resistant super glue from one of the local parts houses and put the clamp on it. It held until I could get a new radiator 3 or 4 weeks later.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #55  
I've never had a plastic radiator tank on any of the equipment that I've ran they should be metal save yourself a headache go down to your local radiator shop and get a metal tank made up they only use plastic in some of the tractors to save money, plastic will never hold up off road good luck in the new year

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #56  
I was looking to repair a crack in a PVC line on a hot tub I picked up (free since it froze) and stumbled into "plast-aid". I was able to use it to fix an ABS sewer crack and the hot tub. Can't speak for longevity as I just got the hot tub running yesterday, but I have patched 4 things with it in the few weeks since I have gotten it and so far so good.

The stuff is strong - I used my old auto paint respirator on it. If you can fit your piece on there and fill in, I'd give it a shot - just make sure it is clean and dry. Might not even have to remove the radiator if you can get around it all the way. When you mix the stuff, they tell you to start applying when it reaches a consistency that works for you. I tried to get it coated while it was still very runny (just to "wet" it) and then fill in once it got to the point it wouldn't run.

They have videos showing a repair and then taking it to high PSI on PVC. If it bonds to your plastic, I'd give it a good chance.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #57  
I have successful “welded” a few plastic radiators using black zip ties and a soldering iron. The zip ties melt along into the radiator. There are also kits
you can find online. i recommend flushing the radiator and removing it to facilitate the repair.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #58  
Just wondering if that JB Weld epoxy for plastic is called "JB Plastic Welder"? They make so many variants. I ask purely for other projects. I know times are getting tighter EVERY DAY as of late but $1,000... REALLY? I tend to agree with most about checking with a radiator shop, then a machine shop and at ALL last resorts... shell out the green. It's a gamble of REALLY doing some damage if a quick fix doesn't work.

I can't remember what the product was called other than JB made it and it was an epoxy. It was 5 years ago.

I just threw that option out to the OP on my experience with plastic repair.

Reading through all the comments, it's looking like a new radiator is needed. Myself, I would clean and epoxy the fitting before dropping the $1K. If it didn't work out, I'm out the cost of the JB and my labor.

My experience is probably different as my tractor isn't a lifeline to survive.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #59  
I've never had a plastic radiator tank on any of the equipment that I've ran they should be metal save yourself a headache go down to your local radiator shop and get a metal tank made up they only use plastic in some of the tractors to save money, plastic will never hold up off road good luck in the new year
Well, the original lasted 14 years in what the OP described as pretty rough treatment, so your comment on "will never hold up" is a bit off. Granted $1k is a bit steep. If I were the OP I'd look around for replacements from other than the dealer. A good radiator shop if you can find one should be able to track down something that will do the job.