Radiator hose "snapped"

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #71  
Not at all impressed with these plastic radiator header tanks. They seem to last about 15 years or so and then come apart.

I played with Audi 5000s for a number of years, those radiators usually broke after 10 to 12 years. There was a large internet Audi user group, and a broken spigot on the top tank was not an unusual problem. There were some very talented and resourceful people on that group, but nobody was ever able to find a solution to fixing these things so they stayed fixed. 99% of these cars are gone now, I have not been on the Audi newsgroups for at least a decade so I don't know if anyone has found a solution for later models (which still use these plastic radiators).

Wife had a Mazda, the radiator got broken by some moron at one of the big franchise "brakes for $99.95!" joints, they convinced her to get a radiator flush and broke the top tank. Of course, "it was like that when it got here". Subsequently, she agreed that in the future *I* was going to be her mechanic. New radiator installed, it was right around a hundred dollars plus antifreeze and some hand cleaner.

2001 Honda Accord, came to me out of an estate in 2003, it has been my daily driver and "beater" since. Radiator top tank split, new radiator was only $65 from eBay, I decided it wasn't worth the time to fool around with trying to fix the old one, problem solved for another dozen years (I hope).

I think I'd look at Summit or a hot-rod shop and let them find an all-metal radiator that will fit. It has to cost less than $1,000, and then you'll never have to worry about it again. Even if it does leak eventually, it can be fixed. These plastic radiators are best regarded as a long-term consumable, they do NOT last indefinitely.

Best regards, and have a happy and safe new year!

Mike/Florida

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #72  
You'll NEVER clean it good enough for any kind of "glue", including JB. A radiator shop may be able to "weld" it, but I doubt it. A new one is in order, I believe.
My 3 different JB radiator repairs went from being emergency fixes to permanent fixes. After years of not failing. I just decided there's no use fixing anything that aint broke. I also patched a leaky gas tank with JB and that also became permanent after lasting for years. Go to town and buy a radiator or a gas tank, or send away for them if you have the money and the time. When you need a fix right now, JB can be a lifesaver. I don't leave home without it in my tool box.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #73  
I am cheap. $1000 for a plastic radiator seems out of line to me. If I could not fix it, I would look at finding a car/truck radiator that was close to the same size.

A few years ago, I bought a new radiator for a Ram truck and it cost less than $100. They might be $150 now.

I am cheap. $1000 for a plastic radiator seems out of line to me. If I could not fix it, I would look at finding a car/truck radiator that was close to the same size.

A few years ago, I bought a new radiator for a Ram truck and it cost less than $100. They might be $150 now.o
If I could not fix it, I would look at finding a car/truck radiator that was close to the same size.
Me too, as long as it aint a show tractor. Make it stronger any time you can.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #74  
Well as the description says, was out clearing some brush and started smelling radiator fluid, checked and found this:

View attachment 776543

Closer inspection revealed this:

View attachment 776544
As you can see, the plastic part of the lower radiator, clean snapped off and is still in the hose. My guess is the only option is replace the radiator, but figure I'd check here first before buying something.

One last photo showing the broken opening on the radiator:
View attachment 776545

For the record, this is a Bobcat CT335....I don't think that matters but figured I'd throw it out there.
looks like you are up for a new radiator, or at least a new bottom header, if you can get one. I would say a branch has got in there and snapped it off, you may want to provide some protection for the new one?

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #75  
2022_12_31_14.39.29.jpg

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #77  
Well as the description says, was out clearing some brush and started smelling radiator fluid, checked and found this:

View attachment 776543

Closer inspection revealed this:

View attachment 776544
As you can see, the plastic part of the lower radiator, clean snapped off and is still in the hose. My guess is the only option is replace the radiator, but figure I'd check here first before buying something.

One last photo showing the broken opening on the radiator:
View attachment 776545

For the record, this is a Bobcat CT335....I don't think that matters but figured I'd throw it out there.
My first question before fixing it is, What caused this. Usually a broken engine mount or?. Something shifted causing it to break off like that. I have repair them before with super glue and baking soda mixed. Because there is no pressure at that point other than heat expansion. Something hit it or it flexed to break like that. My 2 cents worth. If you glue it I would also use this to staple it.

Motorguard (JLMMS2500) Magna Stitcher Plastic Repair System​

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #78  
I'm not a tractor mechanic but I owned and ran several mechanic shops for 40 years. Every new car on the road has a radiator with plastic tanks. I have tried every possible fix over the years but never had any fix that lasted long except replacing the radiator. Try a company called 1800 radiator. They have been able to match several radiators for different types of equipment for me over the years and have saved me a crazy amount of money on some of them. I fixed a forklift for a buddy recently. The forklift company wanted $900 for the radiator. They found me an exact match for less than $200. They will ship.

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #79  
Interesting to see the number of first posters on this thread 10 - welcome to TBN! Could this be search related to radiators?

Hope you get this sorted soon Omnipotent!

/ Radiator hose "snapped" #80  
What was the outcome - replaced/repaired or still looking?