Possible DEF shortages

/ Possible DEF shortages #141  
Name an engine make, model, and application that will function when deionized water is substituted for DEF.
Deionized water in the fuel tank will destroy an engine immediately. The DEF system however, never see's the engine. It only goes into the exhaust burner so, the water would not be a problem for the engine.

/ Possible DEF shortages #142  
Deionized water in the fuel tank will destroy an engine immediately. The DEF system however, never see's the engine. It only goes into the exhaust burner so, the water would not be a problem for the engine.
Agree.

Little off topic, but 3 times I've saw operators put DEF in their fuel tanks. Causes $5K -$7K damage. All three times their vehicle insurance paid for the repairs...... Proof you can insure ignorance....

/ Possible DEF shortages #143  
Agree.

Little off topic, but 3 times I've saw operators put DEF in their fuel tanks. Causes $5K -$7K damage. All three times their vehicle insurance paid for the repairs...... Proof you can insure ignorance....
I goofed (f'ed up) once and put about 1 cup of DEF in my diesel tank. Cost me $1600 + a tank of fuel and I didn't even start the engine. Dealer told me they have had trucks run it that way. Cost upwards of $18,000 to repair! Insurance only paid about 1/2 the time. OUCH!!!

/ Possible DEF shortages #144  
Hurry while supply lasts.

Attachments

• F466F448-2A7A-49F0-ACBA-9DAA62904D12.jpeg
    F466F448-2A7A-49F0-ACBA-9DAA62904D12.jpeg
    958.6 KB · Views: 72
   / Possible DEF shortages #145  
I agree with this, but the other poster claimed some engines will function by putting deionized water in the DEF tank.

Still waiting for a list of engines you can do that with.

It’s going to be a long wait, I believe.

Water in the fuel tank most certainly will destroy the fuel system. Probably won’t hurt the engine unless an injector hseizes and hangs open.

/ Possible DEF shortages #146  
So you don't pump your own fuel at the filling station.
Nice catch, but normally no. My favorite fuel stop still has someone to fuel vehicles, check air and oil.

/ Possible DEF shortages #147  
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not advocating water in the DEF tank! I'm just reporting what I have been told by people I know who have done it successfully. Mostly other owner/opperators.

/ Possible DEF shortages #148  
I noticed you said "filling" station instead of "service" station.
I wonder where all the service stations went?
I was thinking that also. Didn’t (maybe still do) NJ have laws prohibiting self serve fuel because of A right to work?

But again, why bother if the consumer accepts whatever scraps you throw?

/ Possible DEF shortages #149  
I was thinking that also. Didn’t (maybe still do) NJ have laws prohibiting self serve fuel because of A right to work?

But again, why bother if the consumer accepts whatever scraps you throw?
Oregon same thing. No self serve. I've heard recently that this has changed. I don't know for sure.