Plastic welding?

/ Plastic welding? #11  
I use a soldering iron (Weller "gun") to push stainless steel screen into the plastic.
I have fixed an ATV gas tank that was cracked at the filler neck with that,,
The fix is still holding ten years later.

Why stainless steel??
Because stainless conducts heat poorly, the heat stays where you hold the gun.
So, rather the the entire screen getting hot, like aluminum would, one spot gets hot.

I typically use VERY fine screen.

I order the stainless screen from eBay,, it takes a while to get here, but, it is cheap!!

/ Plastic welding? #12  
227_large-600x480.jpg

/ Plastic welding? #13  
I have been wanting to buy one of these for a while.
View attachment 835970
I think it would take care of your (sorry I mean duba$$es) issue. As a matter of fact, I just ordered it.
I have used both the "stapler", and the soldering iron type extensively. (https://a.co/d/gNQ0SOc).

I never use the stapler any more. It's fast, but very crude, and not as reliable a repair.

Once you develop a technique to the soldering iron type unit, you can make repairs that were all but impossible previously.

Basically, you melt a piece of stainless steel screen into the back side of the crack, and then, v out the front and melt the rod into the grove.

I have repaired automotive bumpers with little to no filler after the welds are lightly sanded.

Success still depends greatly on what type of plastic you are repairing. Some, kinds just can not be welded.

/ Plastic welding? #14  
I have used both the "stapler", and the soldering iron type extensively. (https://a.co/d/gNQ0SOc).

I never use the stapler any more. It's fast, but very crude, and not as reliable a repair.

Once you develop a technique to the soldering iron type unit, you can make repairs that were all but impossible previously.

Basically, you melt a piece of stainless steel screen into the back side of the crack, and then, v out the front and melt the rod into the grove.

I have repaired automotive bumpers with little to no filler after the welds are lightly sanded.

Success still depends greatly on what type of plastic you are repairing. Some, kinds just can not be welded.
This stapler will do both and I think it comes with screen as well. I think the stapler will be fine for things where crude is ok. For isnstance, the first thing I am going to use it for is to weld a L shaped crack in the top of my trash can that allows water to come in. I do not need it to be aesthetically pleasing, just need it to keep the water out.

/ Plastic welding? #15  
This stapler will do both and I think it comes with screen as well. I think the stapler will be fine for things where crude is ok. For isnstance, the first thing I am going to use it for is to weld a L shaped crack in the top of my trash can that allows water to come in. I do not need it to be aesthetically pleasing, just need it to keep the water out.

It will join the two halves of the lid together.

But, it won't seal the crack up so no water can get through.

There is no way to melt the plastic to put in screen with the stapler.

It only heats up the staples, and you try and push them in to the center of the plastic.

You then have to cut the legs off, which are always protruding enough that you can't do much with it to sand, glue, or weld it together.

Last edited:
   / Plastic welding? #16  
It will join the two halves of the lid together.

But, it won't seal the crack up so no water can get through.

There is no way to melt the plastic to put in screen with the stapler.

It only heats up the staples, and you try and push them in to the center of the plastic.

You then have to cut the legs off, which are always protruding enough that you can't do much with it to sand, glue, or weld it together.
Gotcha. I was going to put the staples on the inside of the lid, melt and weld the outside of the lid.

This stapler comes with the same flat nosed spatula like attachment that goes into both holes and heats up.

Can't never could my friend!

/ Plastic welding? #17  
I bought a kit in preparation to repair a 4k gallon water that developed a split. Lots of how to videos show using things like paper clips melted into the plastic as stitches across the split prior to filling.
For a water tank I plan to put some waterproof flex sealing tape on the inside after the repair is complete.

/ Plastic welding? #19  

Gotcha. I was going to put the staples on the inside of the lid, melt and weld the outside of the lid.

This stapler comes with the same flat nosed spatula like attachment that goes into both holes and heats up.
I was only going by the photo of the stapler you posed.

I have not seen the kit you are referring to.

By the time you do what you are suggesting, you could just use the screen with the iron, instead of the staples, and have a much better weld.

Good luck.

/ Plastic welding? #20  
Find something to practice on. I was trying to weld some plastic bumpers. My practice bumper looked good, then when I tried the tear test, it certainly had very little strength. I think I had managed to burn the plastic a bit.