Plastic welding?

/ Plastic welding? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
What experience has anybody had with this; good, bad, ineffective? 1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment

I'm just asking for a friend named dumb***, who ran a stick into the cowling of his brand new snowsled last year and would like to fix the damage.
It seems like there was a discussion a few years ago about this but I'm not clever enough to glean it from the many posts since then about arc and mig welding.

/ Plastic welding? #2  
plastic welding can be done a few ways. Basically that's all I know in welding. :)

1. Solvent liquid welding using acetone to certain plastic polymers works great, other plastics not so great. Various ways to apply from wide brush for a patch to a Q-tip for hairline cracks.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2012/08/30/tech-tip-solvent-welding-plastics

2. Heat-Shrink tubing layered enough to repair rod cables in areas that the rod would require massive amount of man hours to remove or cost prohibitive or areas that hot welding can't possible reach. First place heat tubes on each rung side of the rod. Different diameter heat tubes too to allow stacking and layering. Once on, evaluate next if Gorilla glue, super glue or Permatex can bond the 2 halves. Bond the rod back together and then start with the heat-shrink tubes to hold the joint together and keep working upwards till the layers are all shrunk and done.

DSCF7506md.jpg

3. Heat-gun or the hot air tool in your H-F link. Works like a heat shrink for thin faced sheets or using plastic 'weed-eater' string line, one can heat weld to bond things.
How to Weld Plastic

4. Hot forming tips, plastic welding much like soldering to a degree. Tips get messy, but can be cleaned. Years back, I had a heater leak in my truck. Had to cut the HVAC plastic housing apart just to get in there. Got the new heater in and then had to plastic weld like the image shown. :)
1639101996036.png

At times, a combination of a few of the 4 mentioned really does the job. I once had a display table that the top cracked in 1/2 from a blunt impact. I was able to fuse it back together using a combination of 1, 3 & 4.

For vehicle bumper plastics or formed body plastics, check out this technique too.

/ Plastic welding? #4  
Well I know another dummy (me) that has got his radiator twice this year in his toy tractor that uses plastic tanks. Welded it both times and is holding great. I use a small round tip of a file to work and fill the Crack on the first "pass" fusing it together then fill and smooth with a thin flat piece of steel that is easily heated. I use a propane torch to heat with. Basically just like welding, clean and vee the Crack if it is thick and keep it warm. If you can steal a piece of filler from the hood that is best if not I use nylon air tubing at whatever color you want. You can also reinforce with jb weld epoxy if there is no flex in the area needed.

/ Plastic welding? #5  
What experience has anybody had with this; good, bad, ineffective? 1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit with Air Motor and Temperature Adjustment

I'm just asking for a friend named dumb***, who ran a stick into the cowling of his brand new snowsled last year and would like to fix the damage.
It seems like there was a discussion a few years ago about this but I'm not clever enough to glean it from the many posts since then about arc and mig welding.

So I'm a dumb*** who went down this road not too long ago and actually considered the plastic welding kit you linked. My tomfoolery was leaving one of those black 300ga Rubbermaid stock tanks you can get at Tractor Supply stood up on end long enough for it to develop a 6" long crack in one wall right above the drain plug.

Ended up not purchasing 1300 Watt Plastic Welding Kit because my Harbor Freight didn't have any in stock. Bought a Weller 100/140watt soldering iron, watched a couple of videos and went at it as described by example #4 in bmavericks post.

Due to the thickness of the stock tank's walls I used the soldering iron to push melted plastic back into the crack from both sides of the wall kinda I guess like doing a root weld. That mostly joined the edges of the crack at depth, but the process also pushed some of the plastic back out creating a wider seam that I was concerned wouldn't hold against the force of water pushing against the walls of the tank. Ended up using black zip ties as "welding rod" along with the soldering iron to completely fill the defect on both sides of the tank. It's been about a month and the tank has been holding water without a leak.

Take aways I learned:

- Practice on scrap pieces to get a good sense of how the soldering iron and plastic behave
- Work in a very well ventilated area as the process produces a lot of fumes/smoke
- Welding thicker material is probably easier than thinner material due to less chance of burn through.

/ Plastic welding? #6  
What I've fond doing plastic welding, is that use some of the plastic from what your welding. There's always areas you can "harvest" extra plastic from to use. That always gives me the best results. Some plastics are incapatable and you end up making a mess.

/ Plastic welding? #7  
We used a PVC welder to make repair on deionized water piping where I worked. It is as you described a hot air torch used to melt PVC rods, once you made a couple of passes as long as you applied enough heat to the rod so it would flow, the repair was pretty easy. The system we used it on was anywhere from 1/2" PVC piping up to 10" with around 60 psi.

/ Plastic welding? #8  
What I've fond doing plastic welding, is that use some of the plastic from what your welding. There's always areas you can "harvest" extra plastic from to use. That always gives me the best results. Some plastics are incapatable and you end up making a mess.
Yes. There is different plastics and mixing plastics isn't going to come out well. I have a plastic welder (used a couple of times- once it worked as needed, another time it couldn't get it done) and it came with different types of plastic rod.

I've used JB Plastic Weld for some ad-hoc stuff and it works pretty well.

/ Plastic welding? #9  
I have been wanting to buy one of these for a while.
Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 9.40.54 AM.png

I think it would take care of your (sorry I mean duba$$es) issue. As a matter of fact, I just ordered it.

/ Plastic welding? #10  
This is a old thread but since it got revive I would add windshield urethane adhesive work really well and make a strong bond, not the it is black so works if the plastic is also black or if nothing fancy is required.