Part out or repair

/ Part out or repair #12  
And I thought my fire repair was a borderline decision, lol.

/ Part out or repair #13  
Rob would buy it.

I would say not worth messing with. When fires like that get going (also referencing vehicle fires), they get hot enough to change the temper in the metals. I wouldn't touch it. Any insurance company would automatically "total" it, based on how hot it got.

/ Part out or repair #14  
Personally I would walk away.... Have had projects with way less damage that turned into a "daymare' (nightmare in daylight) .....

/ Part out or repair #15  
I thought he was joking at first. On a good day, thats scrap metal.

/ Part out or repair #16  
A couple (or few) rattle-cans of blue paint and she'll be good as new. He said it still had oil in transmission and engine... I think I'd change it anyway.

OK, I see your point. I think I'd recommend changing it too. But not be in too much of a hurry to pitch that old oil - no point to risk throwing away usable low hour oil.
He might as well spring for an oil test. He's going to be into it a bit steep anyway.

/ Part out or repair
The owner died shortly after this happened - and after the insurance paid 100% but left the remains with him. My friend has been helping his daughter, the heir, settle his estate. He loaded this and hauled it to his place thinking since there is oil in engine and transmission, there may be some parts that can be reused. Our primary scrap dealer is only 6 miles from his farm. I did suggest picking it up again with his excavator and hauling it there. Wheels may be okay but not much demand as they are tractor specific. I wish I knew more as to how the fire started.

/ Part out or repair #18  
Back in the late 70's when I was a JD dealer service manager I supervised rebuilding a JD 4020 that had burnt not even nearly as bad as the one in MHarryE's photo. It took several months after owner starting operating tractor after refurbishing to get all the oil leaks stopped. I made up my mind burnt tractors after that one I was asked to rebuild needed to ""go to salvage yard"!

/ Part out or repair #19  
Go directly to the scrap yard with that one.

Virtually nothing is salvageable.

/ Part out or repair #20  
I thought he was joking at first. On a good day, thats scrap metal.

I saw someone trying to fix a pretty well toasted skid steer on another site. It wasn’t as bad as that but it was enough that the aluminum accessories were burned off the block. It doesn’t take much of a fire to total one and that point is way before the accessories start dripping.