Loader Old man and tree

/ Old man and tree #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Had red oak come down this week. 34” diameter 120’+ tall. Decades of leaning, weathering storms finally succumbing force of gravity. Age like gravity wins in the end.

IMG_2666.JPG

Jacked up the corner of the steer/goat shed about 4’.
Have 50 years experience cutting trees. It is a risk complicated by age. Using a hydraulic polesaw I built, cut the limbs into 10-12’ sections. Sure beats being on the ground in the danger zone. Hate admit it but not nearly as quick or strong as I use to be. 70-80 cuts took about 3 hours. Stopping to put the saw chain back on twice and replace the bar once. Thickest cut 14” and all cuts at idle.
IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

Now can use the grapple to haul the limbs away to the gulley.

/ Old man and tree #2  
Pardon my ignorance, but what attachment is that on your FEL to operate the chainsaw? I live in the middle of the woods and that would be an awesome addition for clearing around here.

/ Old man and tree #3  
I believe it’s a hydraulic powered chainsaw rigged up as a pole saw attached to his FEL. I’ve seen power line crews use hydraulic pole saws from bucket trucks. There are hydraulic plug ins for the saw in the bucket.

Nice setup and looks like some good firewood if you cut firewood.

/ Old man and tree
123_1.jpeg

There are several manufacturers now of similar saws. LimbHog, LimbSaw, limbinator. Built this one to match my scrap pile and needs.

Have next 6-7 years of firewood cut. Being next to 300 year wagon road and farm buildings be a risk of milling the lower log section.

/ Old man and tree #5  
That's a slick looking rig. One TBN member's signature says something about working smarter, not harder using diesel and hydraulics.
It seems like that saying fits your setup perfectly. 👍

/ Old man and tree #6  
Had red oak come down this week. 34” diameter 120’+ tall. Decades of leaning, weathering storms finally succumbing force of gravity. Age like gravity wins in the end.

View attachment 800266
Jacked up the corner of the steer/goat shed about 4’.
Have 50 years experience cutting trees. It is a risk complicated by age. Using a hydraulic polesaw I built, cut the limbs into 10-12’ sections. Sure beats being on the ground in the danger zone. Hate admit it but not nearly as quick or strong as I use to be. 70-80 cuts took about 3 hours. Stopping to put the saw chain back on twice and replace the bar once. Thickest cut 14” and all cuts at idle.
View attachment 800267
View attachment 800268
View attachment 800269
Now can use the grapple to haul the limbs away to the gulley.
Good days work. (y)

/ Old man and tree #7  
For those who haven't seen Smokey's limb saw build -

enjoy... Steve

/ Old man and tree #8  
Hydraulic Pole Saw/////////// didn't know there is such a thing. Looks quite handy for big jobs. Alas, I'll still be standing with my traditional Gas Pole Saw.....but it gets heavier every year.:mad:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Old man and tree #9  
Dad needs one to get some high limbs.

/ Old man and tree #10  
well done rig. all pole saws sometimes get pinched high up. have you run into any problems with pinching w/a arm that length? good work.