Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #31  

Somewhere on their website I saw a video where they were unloading material from a truck or trailer. They put the glider in the truck and loaded gravel on top of it then pulled the glider out and almost all the gravel slid out.

actually looks pretty handy.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #32  
Wax your vinyl flooring and see how easily the material unloads.
Funny story. We were installing a new culvert pipe. I was digging in a shale bank loading the trailer. Another fellow had the trailer hooked to his Ford Ranger and was transporting the shale to the pipe where my son was waiting. On the first load the truck arrived, My son said "where is the shale?"
The shale slide off going up a hill and the trailer was empty. Had to find a new route.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #33  
Some guys had just gotten a load of fence pickets from Home Depot in Nashville in a pickup truck, but didn't strap them down. They slid out into the middle of the road at the traffic light less than a block from the store.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #34  
Was headed down the 101 freeway out of Hollywood for the desert on a Friday afternoon. Main rules of the road was leave early and never stop or sit and cry in traffic all night. Suddenly my buddy Corky grabbed the dash with one hand and the door with the other and shouted look out he's loosing that plywood. 4 or 5 cars ahead I saw full sheets just peeling off a lumber rack ahead. One hit a car. Another hit another car. 2 hit the road. Everybody hit the brakes including the offending truck. I swerved right then left around 2 stopping cars, over one sheet then another and away we went down a wide open freeway. We laughed half the way home

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #35  
That crank system won’t work on my trailer… the bed is too low to allow for the rotation of the handle… bummer…

on to your issue… I’ve read that if you place a large sheet of vinyl (I.e. old billboard covers) under your conveyor it makes the handle MUCH easier to rotate… regardless of the load…
Too bad it can't be converted to take some kind of rachet like a Harbor Freight 1/2 x 18" and use a cheater for extra leverage.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #36  
I have such a system for my 1/2 ton pick up. It works well IF the load is not too heavy. If I put in too much gravel I then have to still shovel of enough until it is light enough to crank. Lighter/ less material and it works quite well.
I have a 'Easy Unloader' that I bought ~30 yrs ago with a rubber/teflon bed liner. Rubber side up for general use & teflon side up for unloading rock.
worked so well my 8 yro daughter could crank off 2 tons of 1 1/2" rock. Course I had to make some side boards so that the rock didn't lock up on the wheel wells. Handle length worked just fine of my F350.
Looks just like the HF knock off, all the way to the color of the caps of the pipe.

Last edited:
   / Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #37  
48" used bucket on tractor house for under $400. I would probably go that way. I can use the bucket for other things, too.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer
This is what I've come up with:

I picked up the IBC totes from the company where I work... they, at one time, contained chemicals... I did a quick SDS search on all the available totes and came up with these two... the chemicals they contained were virtually innocuous, so much so the SDS listed their toxicity to water animals as zero...

The forks I spent much hand-wringing time on are coming in handy...

I started with mulch as it was lightest... compost is next... someday, when I'm feeling adventerous, I may try sand, rock or road base... although I don't think I'll fill the totes quite to the top with those... my trailer is rated at 2,000 lbs.

One other thing, next time I'll remove the loading ramp and remove both totes from the back... probably should have done it that way from the beginning... live and learn...

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #39  
That's a jump from piling material on a trailer and then rolling it off. But you are able to contain the mulch in the IBCs for transport and then the IBCs let you manage the material with your tractor forks. So good ideas.

Don't trust the rock quarry guys to not overload your nice alum trailer.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer
That's a jump from piling material on a trailer and then rolling it off. But you are able to contain the mulch in the IBCs for transport and then the IBCs let you manage the material with your tractor forks. So good ideas.

Don't trust the rock quarry guys to not overload your nice alum trailer.
Yeah... I'm a cheap buzzard... as I was scavenging around the bone yard at work, looking for various materials to accomplish my original plan, I stumbled on the stack of totes... my mind began racing... well, maybe my mind finally shifted out of granny-gear...