Rebuilding small stone road

/ Rebuilding small stone road #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Was contracted last week to do a quick rebuild of a local small road for a 10 year customer I do a lot of farming and Conservancy mowing for.
The road is a 1200’ straight shot through the woods with 4 driveways. It’s seen better days, but it’s also been there for 100’s of years. The customer doesn’t want a complete rebuild. Just fill the low spots and add a fresh layer of stone. They know it won’t last forever, so I’m comfortable giving them what they want.

1647473331468.jpeg
Began work this morning. 4 tri‘s of 3/4 clean delivered.
First truck got stuck-that’s commonplace around here in spring. This road sits just a few feet above a flood plain. The Mack with the blue dump bed was easily able to pull out the white Mack with my chain since it was empty. It got stuck with full power divider lock and axle differential lock.

1647473578460.jpeg

Next I used the 9HP push type debris blower to get most of the organic material off what is left of the road.

1647473746373.png

Once I cleared the edges of the road, I began sprinkling stone and back dragging it into low spots. I have done several of these stone road rebuilds, including installing a new road from scratch, but this one is just a quick freshening-up.

Here I am using the Kubota with my 8’ bucket to get the low spots taken care of.

1647473977202.jpeg

What I like to do is after the low spots/potholes are filled, is sprinkle a thin layer, maybe 1”-2” thick onto the old road surface, then back-drag with loader in float.
Tomorrow and Friday, we will be using a 5 ton roller to roll that thin 1-2” layer down tight. It will “bite” into the old layer and form a fairly level, solid surface for the “finish” layer.
Got home about 6pm enjoying the extended daylight and beautiful weather.
More pics coming.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #3  
Like my dad told the guys at Star Roses " One stone thick and not to close together !"

/ Rebuilding small stone road #4  
jealous... we are still shovelling snow off our roofs and running out of room as snow is up the the eaves..... even thinking about seeing or working on our roads is a long way off.

1647485249298.jpeg

/ Rebuilding small stone road
Rained Thursday and I know compacting stone on top of a driveway neglected for 20 years is not in the plans. I’m glad I put down the “bite” layer Wednesday. When I got there this morning (Friday) it wasn’t as bad as I thought.
Anyway, pretty easy going. Just spread stone thin and evenly and compacted it in lifts. Got a couple “atta guys” and Customer was happy at the end of the day.
We ended up with 120 tons of stone and fixed a few of the driveway openings while there.

Here comes another 24 ton

1647636881613.jpeg

A picture before final compacting

1647636972440.jpeg

Not a “Taj Mahal“ quality job, but that wasnt what the customer wanted, either. Just get the house renters to stop complaining about pot holes and dirty cars.
I think we achieved that.

Last edited:
Thanks! :);)
Heading over there this morning to load up compactor and clean up a bit.

Before:

1647698338828.jpeg

After:

1647698377098.jpeg

/ Rebuilding small stone road #8  
Not enough Overhead clearance for the trucks to tailgate spread ?

/ Rebuilding small stone road #9  
Nice work!

It's pretty much much what I go through here with my 1.25 mile private road. I try and keep it up and work on the sections that need repair before they get too rough. I've only had to do the whole road once in 40 years. It took 14 days and 2000 tons of material. I want to avoid that chore again if possible!

I'm not sure what material you're using but I find compacting the 2RC modified (.75" down to stone dust) wet works best.