Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #11  
This guy had the same situation so he made a shorter handle to clear the ground.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #12  
Videos of a winch to offload the trailer.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #13  

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #14  
That might just work real well. I tried this unloading some gravel.
10-10-09 Brandi unloading dump trailer.jpg
About half of it came out and had to help gravity with the hoe on the other half.
hugs, Brandi

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #15  
I unloaded a load of gravel from my pickup truck yesterday without any strain using the HF cargo bed unloader. 2000 lb. Capacity Truck Bed Cargo Unloader

Granted, I have a plastic bedliner which is probably close to the ideal material for ease of sliding material, but this is just one of those HF products that actually works at a reasonable price for the labor saved. I just positioned my tractor bucket under my tailgate and rolled the gravel off into the bucket.

One thing that was also very helpful was the ability to control the amount of material going into the bucket. I just cranked until I had the amount I wanted, went and dumped the material where I needed it, and then repeated the process four or five times until I had unloaded and spread all the gravel where I wanted it. This is actually easier overall than dumping all of it out and then trying to scoop it or spread it from one big pile.

Last edited:
   / Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #16  
I’m finding it difficult to explain my unloading theory…

In what I’m visualizing, the chain link or the tarp on top of it wouldn’t “slide” on the aluminum trailer bed… I would grab the front end of the chain link and lift it/pull it to get the material to roll off the back… I probably would also need to secure the rear of the chain link to the rear of the trailer so it doesn’t pull loose before the material is unloaded…

Once the weather warms up a bit I’ll give it a go and take a video of my contraption in action… that way you guys can either: A: give me props for a job well done… or B: have a hearty laugh at my foibles…

One way or the other I can see this YouTube going viral…🤣
You're meaning rolling the load out, not dragging.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #17  
I’m finding it difficult to explain my unloading theory…

In what I’m visualizing, the chain link or the tarp on top of it wouldn’t “slide” on the aluminum trailer bed… I would grab the front end of the chain link and lift it/pull it to get the material to roll off the back… I probably would also need to secure the rear of the chain link to the rear of the trailer so it doesn’t pull loose before the material is unloaded…

Once the weather warms up a bit I’ll give it a go and take a video of my contraption in action… that way you guys can either: A: give me props for a job well done… or B: have a hearty laugh at my foibles…

One way or the other I can see this YouTube going viral…🤣
Many, many years ago a member rigged up something similar to what you want to do. Then others chimed in with their variations. Looked like a great idea to me!!!!

Anxious to see what you come up with!!!

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #18  
That might just work real well. I tried this unloading some gravel. View attachment 783608 About half of it came out and had to help gravity with the hoe on the other half.
hugs, Brandi
This is exactly what came into my mind too just making it into a "dump trailer"

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #19  
Maybe not a good plan if the hitch slips off the bucket and tears up some hydraulic lines, and it looks like some hand shoveling is needed.

/ Off-loading material from a flatbed trailer #20  
I unloaded a load of gravel from my pickup truck yesterday without any strain using the HF cargo bed unloader. 2000 lb. Capacity Truck Bed Cargo Unloader

Granted, I have a plastic bedliner which is probably close to the ideal material for ease of sliding material, but this is just one of those HF products that actually works at a reasonable price for the labor saved. I just positioned my tractor bucket under my tailgate and rolled the gravel off into the bucket.

One thing that was also very helpful was the ability to control the amount of material going into the bucket. I just cranked until I had the amount I wanted, went and dumped the material where I needed it, and then repeated the process four or five times until I had unloaded and spread all the gravel where I wanted it. This is actually easier overall than dumping all of it out and then trying to scoop it or spread it from one big pile.
Cousin did this with many loads of top soil. But his wife drove the truck very slowly while he cranked the top soil off evenly spreading it. Worked out very nicely for him to top dress his yard. Jon