no Questions?

/ no Questions? #41  
ArlyA, when I saw the price of the EGO ZT ($4500-5000) it lost its appeal for me. But I have 2 acres to cut and it looks like it would be marginal as batteries degrade and even the knock off batteries are $250 each.

You know your needs but I am sure it would not work for me. If I had one acre, it might be a good choice.

/ no Questions? #42  
The real question is...

Are you buying the for a quality and practical lawn mowing experience or are you buying to fit into a newly created religious sect?

If the former, get a good quality gas machine that has a very fast blade speed.

If the latter, get the one with the biggest EV sticker on it.

/ no Questions? #44  
The reviews I saw said the stated endurance was less than advertised. Also did the decals began to peel off after a couple months. I don't care about decals, but build quality becomes a question

/ no Questions? #45  
That's a ton of money for a cheaply built plastic riddled ZTR! You could get into a high end residential or entry level commercial gas unit for that kind of money and it will likely last decades longer than that EGO. Your money though, waste it as you see fit.

Last edited:
   / no Questions? #47  
It's the only way they can justify it to themselves.

/ no Questions? #48  
If you're a homeowner mowing your own property, you don't need to be able to mow all day. The batteries only need to last long enough to mow your own place, plus some added capacity for tough mowing conditions and battery aging. Then they can charge all week until its time to mow again. It's a perfect application for batteries- limited range requirement, charging is right there (if you have power in the building you park the mower in), and unlike road vehicles that have to accellerate with traffic, battery weight is not much of an issue.

It's too bad that most of the battery mowers look like they're made really cheaply. Maybe they're better up close. One of the neighbors got an Ego saw and brought it over. I thought the build quality was terrible and it didn't work all that well. Hopefully their mowers, or someone else's, are better. I'll probably be looking for a new mower in the next year or so. A battery mower would be great if it works out. Less noise, no engine maintenance, no fuel, no worry about fuel going stale over winter. I tend to be conservative with technology that I buy but as pointed out above we have been using battery tools for decades.

/ no Questions? #49  
If you're a homeowner mowing your own property, you don't need to be able to mow all day. The batteries only need to last long enough to mow your own place, plus some added capacity for tough mowing conditions and battery aging. Then they can charge all week until its time to mow again. It's a perfect application for batteries- limited range requirement, charging is right there (if you have power in the building you park the mower in), and unlike road vehicles that have to accellerate with traffic, battery weight is not much of an issue.

It's too bad that most of the battery mowers look like they're made really cheaply. Maybe they're better up close. One of the neighbors got an Ego saw and brought it over. I thought the build quality was terrible and it didn't work all that well. Hopefully their mowers, or someone else's, are better. I'll probably be looking for a new mower in the next year or so. A battery mower would be great if it works out. Less noise, no engine maintenance, no fuel, no worry about fuel going stale over winter. I tend to be conservative with technology that I buy but as pointed out above we have been using battery tools for decades.

The build quality is what turns me off to most of the battery yard equipment. Non serviceable electronics, no parts availability or dealer service networks. They are throw away units, I see nothing but waste. Sure my ICE equipment burns gas but I'd wager my Exmark residential ZTR will still be mowing long after these Ego or simular battery mowers are in the landfill. Same goes for my saws, trimmers and blowers, they will last me decades.

/ no Questions? #50  
The build quality is what turns me off to most of the battery yard equipment. Non serviceable electronics, no parts availability or dealer service networks. They are throw away units, I see nothing but waste. Sure my ICE equipment burns gas but I'd wager my Exmark residential ZTR will still be mowing long after these Ego or simular battery mowers are in the landfill. Same goes for my saws, trimmers and blowers, they will last me decades.

So the reason this thread peak my interest is the old lady wants to get a battery zero turn. She loves to mow the grass. I just shook my head and said, what every you want, however we're not getting rid of the John Deere mower. She is going to find out the difference between a cheap homeowner grade machine vs a well built commercial mower with a very fast blade speed.

I bet I will have a battery zero turn in the shop collecting dust before the summer is over. But it's ok...you have to let people learn these lessons, sometimes the hard way.