New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #61  
yeah…..me, too.
If I can be spared any big repair bills a while, it would be a miracle. Had enough in the past year :oops:
Just a curious observation from the pictures: I'm surprised that the 3pt lift is not using two large external cylinders but rather what must be a huge internal lift cylinder. Wonder what that trade-off is about ?

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #62  
Hay Dude, that hydraulic lock and un-lock on your quick attach will spoil you, until I recently got my skid steer which has it, I had only had manual which never bothered me because I didn't know any different, but now I do.

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #63  
Hay Dude, that hydraulic lock and un-lock on your quick attach will spoil you, until I recently got my skid steer which has it, I had only had manual which never bothered me because I didn't know any different, but now I do.
It's an option on ALO loaders, that can be added at any time, I could have it on mine, if I wanted it.

SR

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #64  
It's an option on ALO loaders, that can be added at any time, I could have it on mine, if I wanted it.

SR
All I can tell you is I like it, it won't stop me from using everything else I have that doesn't have it but if it's an option on something that I order new I will get it.

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor
All I can tell you is I like it, it won't stop me from using everything else I have that doesn't have it but if it's an option on something that I order new I will get it.
What else is cool is it also has a set of outlets for a grapple, it’s self leveling, and has shockless ride. Using it already and loving it.
Just gotta hope its a good tractor and not a hooptie

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #67  
What else is cool is it also has a set of outlets for a grapple, it’s self leveling, and has shockless ride. Using it already and loving it.
Just gotta hope its a good tractor and not a hooptie
Those are also options, there should be a valve that you can open or close, to take the accumulator out of the soft ride circuit when you want.

SR

That's very nice and handy. I've been contemplating adding an electric actuator on mine for that same reason.

By the way, that tractor is a beast. So much more tractor and loader than the Kubota.

I noticed on first picture of post #52 the lower bar on the quick attach seems bent or it's just the picture making it look weird?
It is “humped” a little, but hooks up just fine.

The size is just right for picking up 2) 2,000lb square bales and sticking on trucks without fear of tipping, without being TOO big.
It’s smaller than the Massey and the Case IH by quite a lot, but still has excellent power & loader.

Those are also options, there should be a valve that you can open or close, to take the accumulator out of the soft ride circuit when you want.

SR
It’s push button.
On the Kubota, you have to get out of the cab & twist the knob.
The loader joystick is just a small knob. I have to get a manual and dial back the sensitivity. lol

Last edited:
So I have been running the Challenger a few months now. I love it, but it needed some fixing up. I had to replace the front Cardan brake shoes and front seal with it. Previous owner did front brake job improperly. I fixed it right.
AC compressor was shot (again, pretty normal/typical fix at 5000 hours) but YEOUCH parts are getting expensive.
Also replaced battery cut-off switch (AGCO’s come standard with them-very cool feature you can take the battery “key” with you).

All in all I’m still in good shape with this one. Enjoying the faster easier operation of the CVT transmission and much higher working speed.

The fuel filtration system consists of double filters with water drain at bottom and electronic “water in fuel” sensor.

This tractor has a really smooth ride, too. 4, count ‘em 4 methods of suspension. Cab suspension, front axle suspension, loader suspension and of course a seat suspension. This makes for a very pleasant operating experience. Makes bumpy fields seem a heck of a lot smoother.

The loader hydraulics are insanely strong compared to theKubota M-135X. It picks up almost double the weight and fast. Also enjoying the global quick attach operated from the cab. No SSQA more levers. :)

The weight of the Challenger compared to the Kubota is remarkable. I think it’s about 4000lbs heavier, despite similar HP ratings. This translates into a much more stable loader platform. Lift 2 large 1800lb square bales up high and no tippy feeling. Kubota would be on it’s side. The steel is thicker on the frame and the 3point hitch steel is much more beefed-up.

The cab is much bigger, too. It’s man sized with lots of headroom. Buddy seat is actually padded and comfortable enough to ride on.

All in all, I am happy so far. I didn‘t want to have to spend money on it, but I got almost exactly what I wanted. Got a few more minor things to fix. Hope it lasts me another 5-10 years and by then they’ll all be electric lol.

Despite being a 2010 it replacing a 2012 Kubota with same HP, it’s a much better tractor. Way more steel, features and hydraulic power for the money.

I urge all of you to look carefully at AGCO’s (Massey Ferguson, Challenger, Fendt and Valtra)

1661258129595.jpeg

Much more like a real farm tractor and heavier.

I still have my Kubota M126X and although it has had numerous failures over the 3000 hours and 10 years since I bought it, it does have the advantage of being light which is great for pasture mowing and bush hogging damp areas.
I will replace it when the right opportunity comes along with a lighter, smaller CVT tractor. Maybe a Case-IH or another AGCO.

Last edited: